Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 2k keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply

kingbee22

kingbee22

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I need some help guys as I have a few problems. Here are some of the problems I am facing.
When I load up in Win 2K my background screen showed a nice picture of a beach when it was working properly.

1.Now it shows the message Active Desktop Recovery. If I restore my active desktop it goes back to my normal background page.

2. When booting up I used have the option of pressing F2 button to get my bios screen I no longer have that option.

3. After booting up I try to access the internet it lets me do it but then I get message saying that an error has occurred and Explorer has to restart.

4. If I try to using an anti-virus program like avast4 it runs for a bit and then crashes.

5. If i try to run an anti malware program like superantispyware or malwarebytes it runs for a few minutes and then crashes. I was able to run this program once with a quick scan and it found two trojans which were deleted.

Not sure where to start.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post the required logs, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

Edited by happyrock, 13 May 2009 - 12:21 PM.

kingbee22

kingbee22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
attached is otlist.txtAttached File  OTListIt.Txt   87.57KB   142 downloads

kingbee22

kingbee22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Attached File  Rooter.txt   935bytes   153 downloads

kingbee22

kingbee22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Full scan done with Malwarebytes no infections were found. Also ran Superantispyware quick scan and no infections found. I tried to run spybot search & destroy but it crashed after running for a few seconds.

kingbee22

kingbee22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I haven't heard back from you in a couple of days. I've posted the two logs you requested. Furthermore I ran a bootscan with avast 4 and did not find anything. computer boots up but then freezes and starts to reboot. It appears a bit more stable in safe mode. I tried runninng eset on-line scanner and it crashed after running for a while. Tried to do a memtest from my cd but I was unable to copy the program to a cd. I get a message saying the D:/ or E:/ drive is inaccessible. I ran who crashed this and get the following message.

Analysis

Too may crashes have been detected. Only the latest 40 will be displayed. No crash dumps found on your computer.

Conclusion
Crash dumps enable and none found on your computer. If computer reboots likely cause by malfunctioning hardware or power failure.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
those logs were supposed to be posted in the malware forum as you were advised to do in post #2...

It appears a bit more stable in safe mode

that indicates a driver issue...look in the device manager for any yellow or red ! or ? or X's

kingbee22

kingbee22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Sorry about the post. My fault. No X's or !'s that I see in device manager.

kingbee22

kingbee22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
when i displayed hidden items also i found a ! at ntndis under non plug and play drivers.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your infected...ntndis is is an undesirable program.

This file has been identified as a program that is undesirable to have running on your computer. This consists of programs that are misleading, harmful, or undesirable.

Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

if you are unable to download or run ANY of the tools...try downloading them on another computer and put them on a flash drive or cd and try installing them that way..
no joy...
start a new topic and let them know you can't run any of the tools..