Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

10 Handy FireFox about: config Hacks

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hey everyone,

I got this email today from one of my favorite subscriptions, the problem for you is that to read the article by Jack Wallen you have to register, but its free. Here is the link. http://downloads.tec...amp;tag=nl.e101

Here is the 10 tips for about:config so you aren't disappointed if you registered and come to find out you already knew about these. You reach this area by entering "about:config" (without the quotes) in FireFox's address bar, then press Enter. If you don't really know what you are doing, you can seriously screw up your browser, so please be careful...maybe don't even attempt.

1. Speed Up Firefox
2. Disable AntiVirus Scanning (I don't think I would recommend this to the regular user) They give the same recommendation.
3. Open Javascript Popups in Tabs
4. Spell Check in all Fields (this is nice)
5. Open SearchBar Results in New Tab (this is my favorite one by far!)
6. AutoExport BookMarks
7. Disable Extension Install Delay
8. View Source Code in External Editor (I'm sure for some of you, you will absolutely love this)
9. Get More Add-On Search Results (Nice little tweak)
10. Redefine the Backspace Button (Lets you use the backspace button to page up instead of page back)
So what I'm going to do is just give you an example of the ones that seem to really stick out and that seem to be the most helpful.

Number 5, Open SearchBar Results in a New Tab
Paraphrased,

When you use the search bar, the results display in the current tab. This can be a nuisance because you navigate out of the page you are currently in. To make sure FireFox always opens search results in a new tab, search for openintab and you will see...

browser.search.openintab: Change this to True.

Number 8, View Source Code in an External Editor
Paraphrased,

When you need to view the source of the page, it opens in a browser popup. Most developers would probably like to have that open in their favorite editor instead of having to cut and paste. To do this, there are two entries to modify. Search for view_source.editor and you will see...

view_source.editor.external Change this to True
view_source.editor.path Change this to the explicit path to your editor of choice

Edited by Ferrari, 13 May 2009 - 12:26 PM.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Nice tweaks, Ferrari.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks DragonMaster Jay,

#5 really will help when I'm researching for Geek U. Before this, I was always having to open a new tab, then search google. Now I can just straight search google.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
I use the malware search plugin that many are talking about in the GeekU forum.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

ha ha I was going to tell Ferrari to do a search in Geek U for GravityGripp's Firefox add-on it works very well.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Oh, don't misunderstand! :) Malware search is the first stop, if that can't find it, then I google.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
I believe there is a special tweak in Geeks to Go :) that incorporates tuxmaster's search (aka Google) in to that plugin!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Ohhhh, I see.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
10 Handy Firefox about:config Hacks at Geeky Grrrl
10 handy Firefox about:config hacks by Jack Wallen without signing up for anything.
Hacking Firefox: The secrets of about:config
21 About:Config Hacks(Tweaks) For Firefox 3

Only a few thousand more links. :) Was trying to find the original Mozilla site hacks.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Thanks Payne

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. I like links to stuff. :)

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Right on! I surely think tweaking interfaces is fun...especially Windows Vista and Firefox.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Only a few thousand more links. tongue.gif Was trying to find the original Mozilla site hacks.

You just couldn't resist picking on the noob could ya? :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Actually didn't realize it could be taken that way...but it don't matter none!!!! :) :)