Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Home Premium on Toshiba Sattalite won't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

unboundtrucker

unboundtrucker

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Toshiba Satelite with Vista Home Premium OS wouldn't boot and had to be restored several times. the last time after restore it wouldn't connect to the internet. not on dial up or wireless. :)
We would appreciate any help thank you

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Check this thread: Limited or no connectivity
and see if it helps. You should be able to solve your problem. If not, post back here and see if the Geeks to Go tech gurus can take care of it!

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 13 May 2009 - 03:00 PM.

unboundtrucker

unboundtrucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I tryed the ipconfig/release...and renew but it said it couldn't do it with no media connected er some such thing. I connected to the dial up and tryed it again but it said the same thing. when I connect with dial up it only transfers 468 kb and stops, and only recieves about the same and stops. Thanks for such a quick response , If you can think of anything else..??? thanks Jim

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Have you checked with your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to see if your Modem (and router if you have one) is configured correctly.

If you had a recent power outage, your modem may have lost some data required to make it function properly.

Check in with your ISP and see what they have to say, then reply back here!

unboundtrucker

unboundtrucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I checked with isp they said they didn't know why we couldn't connect. They pinged the computer? no response?..

unboundtrucker

unboundtrucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
By the way I am using dial-up here at home , but it won't connect to any Wi-Fi either

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Are you currently using any firewall?

If so, what is it?

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 15 May 2009 - 07:58 PM.

unboundtrucker

unboundtrucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No Firewall active we have the Windows one turned off for the testing we were doing with the ISP

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey unboundtrucker,

What sort of setup do you have in your house? Do you connect to a router, then to a modem? Or do you use wireless Internet (beamed into your house)?

What exactly do you mean wireless and dial-up won't work; where does it fail on you? When trying to connect via wireless, do you see your network and then connect? Does it believe that it is getting an active connection?

Please try to connect via wireless and then do the following.

Step 1 - Connectivity test:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Step 2 - Device manager:
  • Press Start
  • In the Start Search field type devmgmt.msc and then press the ENTER key.
  • In the Device Manager, expand Network adapters
  • Under Network adapters, you should see your wireless adapter; do you? Does it have a red 'x' or a yellow '!' beside? Does it state it is running properly in it's settings?
Now, try restarting your machine in Safe Mode with Networking and then connect via Dial-up; can you connect to the Internet?

Step 3 - Restart your machine in Safe Mode with Networking:
Please restart the problematic machine in Safe Mode with Networking and then see if you can get an Internet connection; can you?
*Note: You will not be able to use a wireless connection while in Safe Mode; please ensure all tests are performed with a wired (Ethernet) connection.

- Dan

unboundtrucker

unboundtrucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello Dan,
I did all of the things you said. When I typed in those 5 CMDs I got "is not recognized as an internal orexternal command, operable program or batch file"
In safe mode it can't find a modem. But when I try to connect in normal mode,
wireless says "connected but cannot connect to the internet" The dialup says it's connected but it won't go on the internet

Advertisements

unboundtrucker

unboundtrucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
OOps 4got this part and it was probably the most important huh? sorry
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : 3H7-21G
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-33-97-D2-0F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-63-F5-92-A7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::208d:1668:10cb:1d10%10(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.29.16(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{1EC8C09A-BD69-44D6-8520-E6C920E5F2D9}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{81491A02-82EE-4755-AA32-8EDA036E3CAB}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

When I typed in those 5 CMDs I got "is not recognized as an internal orexternal command, operable program or batch file"

So, none of the commands worked? How'd you manage to get the ipconfig /all?

I'm still curious as to what sort of setup you have: Computer --> router --> modem? Or is it, Computer --> modem?

The first step you should take is to ensure all of your system files are intact; to do this, please run a sfc /scannow. If the issue still persists, try disabling IPv6.

Step 1 - Disable IPv6:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type ncpa.cpl and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Network Connection and select Properties.
  • In the This connection uses the following items section, remove the tick beside (i.e. disable) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then press OK.
Restart your machine and see if the issue persists; if it does, then try the next step.

Step 2 - Reset your Winsock and TCP/IP settings:
  • Select Start
  • Type cmd in the Start Search field -- right-click on the cmd program and select Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, type netsh int ipv4 reset resetlog.txt
  • Once the above command completes, type netsh winsock reset catalog
  • Restart your computer.
- Dan

unboundtrucker

unboundtrucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I am an over the road truck driver, When I am at home I plug my phone line into the computer and sign into fidnet A dial up ISP. I can't even get DSL where I live, when I'm on the road I use various wi-fi connections, alot of motel, and free wi-fi sites. Will try everything that you have in your last post, thank you very much for your time.

unboundtrucker

unboundtrucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Dan,
When I preformed step one of your latest reply to my dilemma, I recieved this,
"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\windows\logs\CBS\CBS.log"
I tryed to access that log but was denied access
so I did the other 2 things that you suggested and still can't access the internet. I downloaded and installed new drivers for the modems found in network devices.
Still nothing....??? :)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

I tryed to access that log but was denied access

Let's see what files it was talking about. To get around the access denied issue, try the following.
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, type notepad c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log
  • This should allow you to open the file; if you do not know how to interpret this file, use the Save As option in notepad to save it to an easy to reach location as log.txt. Once you have done that, Attach the file to your next post.
Step 2 - Event Log/Viewer errors/warnings:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type eventvwr and press the ENTER key
  • In the new window, expand Windows Logs and then select System -- this will display a list of all system events. Look for any errors and/or warnings (denoted by a red 'x' or a yellow '!'). If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.
    *Note: You'll mainly be looking for DHCP and TCP/IP errors/warnings -- however any and all errors may be relevant.
- Dan