Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading

• Please log in to reply

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
ok building new system going from ultimate vist 32bit to same but 64 bit system will I be able to transfer my emails and documents and pictures.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I see no problem.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Just FYI - you cannot upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. It'll require saving your emails, documents, and pictures before the installer wipes the drive and installs the 64 bit version. Then you can copy the saved stuff back into the new installation.

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
old sysytem still going to be runing just trying to figure out how to move everything to new system

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The easiest way is to copy the files to a removable device and move them over that way.
If the removable device isn't formatted in NTFS, you won't have any permission/access issues.

You can also use a network to do this, but then you'll have to deal with the permissions to access devices across the network.

Another way is to slave the hard drive from the old system to the new one, then copy the stuff over, then take ownership of the files.

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
thanks mike just slave behind it well see , next new thing beside just about whole computer, the parts be hear monday is the 64bit operating sysytem. well see if I like that or not