Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop rather slow now.

• Please log in to reply

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I know this seems to be a rather dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

I have a laptop, it's a Sony Vaio. I'm going to keep it till I run it into the ground, but I'm just wondering why it's so slow. I've had basically the same programs on it since I've gotten it, I keep the processes down to a minimum (running xp) I do formats here and there to keep the system fresh, but it seems now that it chugs over the most basic stuff. Like the mouse lags here and there, it struggles just to open folder windows, etc.

Is it just an age thing? Because there is no reason I can think of that would make it this slow, when it could handle this stuff fine 4 years ago.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Take a look at this article by Artellos. Maintaining your machine. The recommendations can really improve speed and performance.

See if that helps :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)