Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi
These are all the suggestions I can come up with at the moment :

1. According to Microsoft, VIA USB Chipsets VT83C572 & VT82C568 are not supported under windows 2000, nor are VIA USB revisions earlier the rev 5. I don't know which via chipset you have, but if it turns out to be one of these, you may be able to get a patch from VIA's website.

2. You siad the drive caddy works in other machines, have you also tested the USB cable on other USB devices or other systems?

3. There is an issue in windows 2000 with the embedded usb driver & ntfs file system driver. The fact that you have SP4 loaded means that you should have the updated drivers running but it's possible they have been overwritten by older versions at some point. Check the version numbers of these files :

usbhub.sys v5.0.2195.3568 or later
ntfs.sys v5.0.2195.6920 or later

4. The file named as being the cause of the 0x50 error, is pqv2i.sys. This file is part of Symantec/Norton software, usually ghost I believe. But if you're sure that you don't have this loaded, then it can't related to that.

5. The fact that you experience the STOP error whenever you connect the drive, suggests that this is an enumeration fault. It may be that there is a patch for it but you would need to know the manufacturers name for the USB drive.

6. The only other solution that may or may not work, would be to install a PCI USB card & connect the drive to that.

Advertisements

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
the other com s you tryed it with are they 2k or xp try unplug it reboot then remove unknow device reboot see if unknow device comes back with out it pluged in if not plug it back in then see if it comes back if it dose its looking for a driver of some sort a lot of caddy s put a device driver it shoud show up under usb devives when pluged in if not go and have look at manf web site see if they got one for it

s.charlton1

s.charlton1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
the only reference i can find to pqv2i.sys is in
C:\WINNIT\system32. drivers
will this have an effect and can it be deleted ?
will try to check your other suggestions
have tried another USB cable still the same

s.charlton1

s.charlton1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
my ntfs.sys version is 5:0 2195.6710
and the only reference to usb.sys is
hidusb.sys version 5.0 2142.1
via usb.sys version 4.10.1.8

s.charlton1

s.charlton1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
how do i find what usb chipsets are in use please

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Re. the ntfs.sys file, check out the link below. It describes the problem you seem to be having & tells you how to get a hotfix for it. Whether this will fix the problem or not, I can't say.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=837067

To determine the chipset you have, download aida32 from the link below. Extract it & run the aida32.exe file. It will tell you in here what chipset you have. Failing that, in aida, click on the motherboard heading in the left pane, & select the motherboard sub-heading. Then let us know what your motherboard make & model is.

http://majorgeeks.com/download181.html

Edited by Samm, 15 May 2005 - 04:44 PM.

s.charlton1

s.charlton1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Samm
Thanks for the link to the program aida32pe_393
motherboard chipset is VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You mentioned earlier that you had USB v2.0. I am assuming now that you meant the drive is v2 not the USB on the motherboard. Being fairly familair with the Apollo KT133a anyway (plus looking it up on net to double check), I am positive that is USB v1.1.

In that case, VIA themselves recommend the following :

1. Up date (if necessary) the VIA 4in1 driver. For the KT133a, the Retro 4in1 driver is recommended instead of the hyperion driver.

http://www.viaarena....t.aspx?PageID=2

2. Install the USB Filter patch (USBv1.1 only)

http://www.viaarena....t.aspx?PageID=2

Finally, Via also state that for USB problems with the KT133a chipset, using XP, the only solution after updating everything & trying a different USB port etc etc, is to use a PCI USB add-on card! I realise that you are using Win2000 not XP, but this may turn out to be the only solution.

s.charlton1

s.charlton1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Samm

you were right
installed all usb 2 drivers and put in usb 2 card everything works ok now including ext drive

thanks for all your help

steve

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Good - at least we got there in the end!

Advertisements