Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

flashing screen

• Please log in to reply

paulcole

paulcole

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Can someone please help with the issue I have with my screen randomly blinking.

I use atf cleaner and Anti Maleware Bytes and Mcafee none have found issues

The screen sometimes goes 5 minutes without blinking but then it happens more frequently

Is there something that i can do to fix the problem?

Thanks guys

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Is this a desktop or a laptop?
If it's a desktop, have you cleaned the case out and verified that the fan cooling the graphics card is running
To do this, unplug the computer from the wall before opening the case. While inside the case, keep a hand on the metal of the case to prevent static discharge from harming the components. Do not use a vacuum cleaner or an air compressor as it can easily damage components.

If it's a laptop, blow the vent holes out with canned air. Also, try hooking to an external monitor to see if the problem occurs there. On most laptops there's a key combination with the Fn key to switch the display to an external monitor.

paulcole

paulcole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Too late

I took apart the case last week and used a vacuum cleaner to remove all the dust!!!!

I will take apart again and make sure the fan is working.

Can you advise what the graphics card look like as when I took it apart I removed the 2 memory cards but did not see the graphics card?

Thanks for the help

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Are you having any other issues with the system? I presume that you vacuumed it out after the screen issue started? You may have gotten lucky and not damaged anything with the static from the vacuum.

The graphics card is either built into the motherboard (and has no fan), or it's a separate card plugged into the motherboard (usually towards the bottom of the motherboard). The easiest way to find it is to follow the cord from the monitor - that'll lead you to where it's located.