Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Restarts

• Please log in to reply

fnark

fnark

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello, been getting random restarts on my computer for some time now, and there getting more frequent. At first they seemed to just be happening when i was using something graphically challenging (Morrowind or other newer games). I changed gfx drivers and unistalled coolbits 3d(GeforceFX 5200 if that helps btw) but kept on getting them, now it seems to happen all the time.
I have a suspicion its my psu, its 300w and im running 3 hdd's 1 cd drive and a 128mb gfx card, ive also only got one fan in my system dont know if it could be overheating?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
At a guess, it sounds like either it's overheating, as you suggested, or the PSU simply isn't powerful enough for your system.

If you want to monitor system temps, first try your motherboard manufacturers website for a downloadable utility. If they don't have one, you may be able to find one on www.majorgeeks.com

Be aware that a lot of these utilities only work with either specific brands of chipset or specific motherboard brands, so check that out before downloading it.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You could use Everest to check the temps, it isn't a true monitoring software but its free and after you install it if you click on sensors it will give you temps of whatever hardware in your system has sensers.

Its also very usefull for system info. so give it a try and post back

Rick