Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio

• Please log in to reply

whpearce

whpearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Uninstalled realtek drivers. Speaker icon went away. Went to Intel and found a realterk driver that was not AC97. Downloaded and tried to install. Got a message saying it was older than the system version. Started to reply to you but tried a second time and this time it worked.
Everything is the same except now I have lost my orange speaker icon. Hardware install says the device is installed properly and control panel says I have no audio device.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wow this is a teaser for sure. :)

Go HERE and follow the steps to get your Speaker Icon back

I am beginning to believe you may have a bad audio chip on your MOBO. Please try to redo steps in previous post 15 and uninstall all the drivers. This time install only the HD drivers and try it.

whpearce

whpearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I printed the site. Will try and follow the instructions and get right back to you.

Thank you so much for all your time and patience and understanding.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and I will be here for any further assistance needed :) :)

whpearce

whpearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The expand sndvol32 step is running. I don't know if it is a loop, hung or just taking a long time. It has been running for about 10 minutes now. I feel like when it completes I should get a "E:" back but so far nothing. I can hear the computer churning.

whpearce

whpearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Done. Got a message saying the sndvol3232.exe expanded from 56,489 bytes to 138,752 bytes, a 145% increase. Still no speaker icon and no audio in control panel. I went back and tried your run command again, sndvol32 and still get no mixer devices error message.

whpearce

whpearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Rshaffer, I have to be perfectly honest with you so now you can understand my ignorance.

I have an INTELL DG33FB motherboard. There is a built in speaker on it. There is a jumper on page 45 of the product guide that is called Audio. I have a gut feeling I have to rejumper to select outside speakers and not the internal built in speaker. My problem is I can't read that diagram and know what to plug. Do you agree with any of this malarky? If you do please tell me how my jumpers should be.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I found your manual HERE
The internal speaker you described is the system beep speaker which is connected to the MOBO
It's function is to only allow you to hear the system beeps when your system is booting up for Diagnostic Purposes
I'm looking at page 45 and there is nothing showing for audio as you say.
Page 50 shows the back of the system and how the speakers are plugged into the GREEN connector.

I will have another Tech Staff Member look at this topic and see if they can advise also.

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 May 2009 - 10:04 AM.

whpearce

whpearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
We are looking at different versions of the manual. My page 45 is your page 46. That is where the audio jumper is.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is for your Front Panel Audio Connection
There should be a wire that comes from the front panel and hooks in there so you can get sound from your front connections

Advertisements

whpearce

whpearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK, thanks.

My front panel audio has an audio style plug on the end and not jumpers so I would have no idea where to plug it. I don't want front panel audio so didn't fool with it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are supplied with 2 audio drivers which kind of clash with each other.
One is the High Definition audio driver
the other is the Realtek software that u got with the mobo CD.
Please uninstall both, the Realtek and the High Definition audio driver from the Control Panel Go to Add/Remove Programs.
After that, put in the MOBO CD and install the realtek audio driver and reboot

[u]When u install the Realtek software do not use the CD in[b] autorun option
Go to [b]Windows Explorer
and install it through there.

whpearce

whpearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Printed your instructions. Deleted Realtek driver in control panel/add/remove programs. Can't find High Definition audio driver anywhere. Can you give me a clue where to look?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it shows in Device Manager then Right click on it and then click on Uninstall.

whpearce

whpearce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It doesn't show. I can't find it. Should I go ahead and ignore it and reinstall realtek from Windows Explorer?