Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

please help upgrade a video card

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes the four knockouts as you call them actually are the slots. Here is a example of what you should be seeing.
In this example the bottom card is the Modem\Soundcard. (old type)
Then there are four empty slots with the Knockouts as you described.
Then there is a Video Card (old type again) above those and then another Knockout

They are not actually knockouts but they unscrew from the inside and then replaced with a add on card like the video card you are wanting to get.

Advertisements

daftdunki

daftdunki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ah i see that cool then , all i need now is a vid card with a min of 512 or should i get one that is compatible with the pc as it is , gawd i so thick here,

it may be a week orso before i get a new card, but do i need to install it or wil windows recognize it n install for me

the other thing is erm two things,the new mem ...do i just pull it out n replace n windows recognise it

this isnt a little bit of a waste because the pc is supposedly three yrs old, actually only 18mths, as neill said in the first reply

daftdunki

daftdunki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
h stupid me.....where or how do you plug it in in the pc itself or does that come with the new card

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The card will connect to a slot on the MOBO. The picture below shows you the slots on the MOBO.
In the picture they are the White slots near the bottom right of the MOBO. This is where the video card will attach to the MOBO. Yours may look alittle different but the concept is the same.

daftdunki

daftdunki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok think i see the plugs are the long ones grouped in five 4 white 1 brown yes

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes those are the ones :) :)

daftdunki

daftdunki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
cool think i got it now thanks loads, now need a card, can i use any 512mb or would there be one specific to the motherboard n everything

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
PCI or PCI Express is what your MOBO specs show that can be used.

daftdunki

daftdunki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
great stuff, well thank you very much for your helpi let you know what happens

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you and please let me know. I'm always happy to know if everything works out. This topic will remain open in case you need additional assistance or have any other questions.

Advertisements

daftdunki

daftdunki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
nearly forgot.......if and when i install the new card...... read that i need to alter some of the bios settings to change the default ...from the old onboard...to the new card is this right or will the pc scan the new hardware n react accordingley,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will have to disable the onboard in the bios.
To do that:

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced or Integrated Peripherals area and click Enter
Look for Onboard Video and highlight that click Enter
Follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to Disabled.
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

daftdunki

daftdunki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi to rshaffer61

hey many thanks

upgraded to 2gb ram, may need to format the hard drive gotta load of crap on here

fitted a new graphics card, only a cheap one but works so well

wanna thank you so much for your help.
one thing puzzles me stil tho.do i still need to disable the old crd in the bios, it seems to have done it itself,and the new card now seemsto work

so thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That's what I was hoping it would do. By installing the new card the BIOS auto disabled the onboard. Everything seems to be working fine now. With that being said I now get the pleasure of saying:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

daftdunki

daftdunki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i too am very appreciative that you took time out to help me ,,,,,,

the next thing to do is maybe upgrade or change the os

dunno wether to go full pro xo or change to vista

would doing this change my system to 64bit or should this be an entirely new topic

oh and tried thegame ....its awesome now