Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

please help upgrade a video card

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
and, I think from your post 38 you have

(I have 2 sticks of extra RAM already - they say 'DDR512PC3200'. I can buy new RAM if necessary

and as you only have the two slots, to upgrade to 2Gb which you suggest you intend to do, in your post 41, you will have to buy 2 x 1Gb ram sticks.

My advice would be go here
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

you do not have to buy from there, and use the scanner
It will tell you what you can have, and indeed what you have

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Edu17

It is now some 13 days since your last reply

Just wondered how you were progressing.
Would you kindly update your thread when you have chance.

Edu17

Edu17

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello again. I don't have access to the computer yet so I haven't really progressed in that regard. In any case, I might be considering buying or building a computer from scratch for a higher quality PC.

In any case, the information you've provided was very useful and was a springboard to understanding a lot more about the modern state of affairs in computing (I used to know a lot about it but that was 7 or 8 years ago).

Thanks again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:
If you do decide to build your own start a topic @ http://www.geekstogo...-and-upgrading/ stating your maximum budget - what the PC will be mainly used for and any components that you may already have such as screen, keyboard, mouse etc and I among others will be happy to help you choose parts.

Edu17

Edu17

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, if I do decide to build then I'll definitely do that :)