Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp freezes on startup

• Please log in to reply

Zeroseraph

Zeroseraph

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm kinda in dire need of help here.

My computer keeps freezing on startup for some reason and i'm forced to restart my computer a few times before it loads. When it loads i'm unable to remove or install any programs of any kind. I have tried to do a system restore but after i chose the date to set it back to it get stuck on the next screen with me pushing next to try to continue but to no avail. Even in safe mode i'm unable to remove programs or install. Prior to this event happening i was downloading a file that got stuck on scanning for viruses and when i click to remove it i a blue screen of death with no error messege just a gargled blue screen which when i restarted my computer from my computer started to freeze. I have scanned with every possible antivirus/spyware/malware ever made and everything say my comp is clean.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Let's make sure that you are 100% clean. The malware techs should be able to fix this problem. Go here: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
Follow that guide, and post in the Malware Forum with the required logs.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
boot into safe mode and delete the file you downloaded and tried to scan..
nojoy...
try this...

go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
nojoy...
boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press Enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd

Reboot

Zeroseraph

Zeroseraph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thx happyrock i did everything and my comps back to normal THX YOU!!!!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good job! :)
Turns out that this was not malware related after all.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)