Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pivot Table - All Others

• Please log in to reply

SolutionTracker

SolutionTracker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm exploring a concept that would be easy to do by writing a query, but I'd like to make this option a little more available to my users through a Pivot Table -- if this option doesn't exist it might be a welcome addition by Microsoft.

Here's a simple example:

Let's say we have 25 different products with sales totals for each. We put a field called "Product Name" in as Row Data. And we setup Data/Calculation/Summary fields to show total sales by product and a % of total sales by product. (That means two separate lines of summary info for each item selected under "Product Name.")

If a user chooses to show data for all products, you have a Pivot Table that's now 50 lines long, before you get to grand totals. (Pretty daunting!)

What if you want to pull out just a couple products and compare them to total sales....I'd like the user to be able place check marks beside a couple of the names displayed as options under "Product Name" and then have an option to combine the numbers for all others. The result would be something like:

Product A Sales in Dollars 200,000
% of Total Sales 20.0%
Product B Sales in Dollars 100,000
% of Total Sales 10.0%
All Others Sales in Dollars 700,000
% of Total Sales 70.0%
Grand Total Sales in Dollars 1,000,000
% of Total Sales 100.0%

And, alternately another user might pull out Product F and Product G and want an All Others line.

Am I missing an obvious, existing feature or does anyone have an idea on accomplishing this?

Advertisements