Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Connection Question

• Please log in to reply

McKnight

McKnight

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
First of all... I just got an external HD; and the instructions (picture) shows to plug the USB connector into the computer first, and then plug in the other end to the external HD second (device).

As I was pushing the cable connector into the device, I saw a small electrical spark in the slot of the device. I continued to push in the cable until it was fully connected. I went about looking at the contents of the device (applications, etc.); but never actually tried to transfer anything to it. I safely removed the device, but never actually tested it to see if it worked correctly.

My questions are:

1) Could this spark have any ill effects on the device and/or the computer? Or am I just looking too much into it?

2) Is there an actual correct order in which someone should connect a USB device to his or her computer? If so, is there a reason why?

Note: I have always connected the cable to a device first, and then to the computer; however, I did the opposite as the picture instructions showed otherwise.

Thanks...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Some sparks can be normal, very small sparks occur quite regularly between power connector and unit it's powering. Normally it's fine, on occasion you sometime see a small apart when you unplug something from the wall without switching it off at the socket first.

2) Makes no difference. Like jigsaw puzzles, doesn't matter which bits you use first as long as you use them all.

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thank you very much for your help and info... I appreciate it.