Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no desktop, no start icon, no taskbar, just wall paper

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Ok, you must have pressed F8 too early, when this happened:

3 choice thing at the bottom of the screen: "press esc to change boot sequence", "press f10 to boot in setup" "press f12 to boot from lan"

You enter the BIOS settings if you press F10, and F12 allows you to boot from a network (which we won't have to use).

Press F8 after you see a BIOS splash screen, and you should go to the Window Advanced Boot menu every time.

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Press f8 when booting.
Then you will get the 3 options.
Using the arrow keys to select and then press enter when the right one is highlighted
More Info

I'm about to leave, and I won't be back for 6 hours or so.. It'll be late when I get back so I'll have to come back tomorrow.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
okay i did the f8 after asking for bios and it went to safe mode. i hopefully will be able to duplicate that. i chose command prompt and it let me chose users. i chose administrator and it went to command prompt. after i did nothing for a short time, it turned itself off.

we are having storms and the power is irratic so a 6 hour break may make for more stable power.

btw the walmart here will order the 8 gig flash drive, but it might take 7 days. i have got to move out of this little town.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All right, time is not an issue here. Get the flash drive as soon as you can. :)

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
no time is not an issue. he took an old ibm laptop with him that will serf the web etc. can't use usb ports because it has a message the effect of , "Too many secrets ---- exceeded the maximum amount of secrets that may be stored." which i have never seen nor heard of before.

but that is another problem altogether. anyway he can limp through with it for the time being. he will not be back for weeks when summer session is over.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you can get back into safe mode with cmd prompt...type in chkdsk /r press enter..this will take a long time to run and may even backup and go over the same area again...it may appear to hang at a certain % for a couple of hours only to jump way ahead...this is normal...let it run

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
okay, that would put us ahead in the game. power has been off and on as we have a weather front coming thru. i think i'll wait until that settles then run chkdsk.

does anyone ever run defrags on these huge disk now? probably take forever.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

does anyone ever run defrags on these huge disk now? probably take forever.

With the efficiency of the NTFS filesystem, defragging is a task that doesn't need to be done often. It would probably be an all-nighter for a 500 GB disk (i think).

By the way, chkdsk /r also will take a lot of time on large volumes.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you used windows built in defragger ...you would have to run it in safe mode and leave the computer on all night...
get diskeeper lite here...its free and will take about 45 minutes the first time you run it but it will only take about 15 minutes if you run it about once a month...
BTW...by the time you hear a hard drive thrashing...your waaay past due to defrag...

Edited by happyrock, 17 May 2009 - 06:43 AM.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Well, I'm not sure if this is going to work, but I suppose we can try...

Boot up normally, and log in. Then use Ctrl+Alt+Del to open Task Manager. Click New Task... and type in cmd. Click Ok. At the Command Prompt, please type:

COPY C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i368\explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS

And press Enter.
Close the Command Prompt.

In the Task Manager, click New Task... and type in explorer.exe...

This should work, assuming that you have a Service Pack installed, and the updated files got copied to that directory as they should have...

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
That might work. It's a good idea.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
well even though it says he has service pack 2 when i do this it says this is not a valid path. unfortunately i did not set up this computer and i do not know what the tech at the store might have done. don't know if service pack files were kept or not.

i an going to be gone to our state capital starting with a trip to relatives just north of there tomorrow afternoon and then go to a meeting wed. morning and afternoon and will be back here wed. night. maybe in the meantime wal mart will have gotten my flash drive. they have empty shelves for mouses and flash drives bigger than 1 gig.

will check back all alone.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Woops! I'm so sorry! There's a typo in that script. :) Try this one instead:

COPY C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
honestly i think i was just fixing the script with i386 and did not use i368. i have saw the i386 stuff before, but i'll try it again to be sure.

it appears that i was fixing the script as it still says "the system can not find the path specified."

is there a way i can run a search from task manager?

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
I don't think so...

Have you tried a System Restore?