Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no desktop, no start icon, no taskbar, just wall paper

• Please log in to reply

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
EDGE2022, I MAY TAKE A LITTLE TIME HERE AS the article seems to assume a running shell of windows and a cd drive. i'll have to sort of translate such statements as "To do this simply go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:
sfc /scannow" to how to do it using task manager or command prompt.

i have the windows cd, but anything i need off the cd has to go to the flash drive and then to the laptop. when the kid broke the cd drive he put me in a world of hurt trying to work on this thing.

Advertisements

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
trying to do this using task manager to run:

To do this simply go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

The following should appear to give an indication of how long the process is taking.

the box never appears when i run this from task manager.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The box might flash and disappear.
The only fix I can think of, is recovering all your files to an external drive using Puppy Linux, and then trying to restore the system to factory defaults, using the hp recovery partition.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i think there was a link to download puppy linux and get it on this 8 gig flash but putting the files on what type external drive? i'll try to have that puppy linux downloaded and on the flash drive by sometimes tomorrow. it is already tomorrow here.

he said i did not have to save the data files since it is end of semester and he'd be satisfied if i can restore the system to working order. he has quite a bit of stuff duplicated on an older ibm laptop so he has some redundacy there. it is having it's own problem but it is running and he could copy his files back onto this laptop if we can only save the system.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If you need help with your other laptop, then start a new topic, and we can help you there. :)

If you need to transfer a good amount of data (40-60GB) then it would help if you had an external hard drive. Then you could boot into Puppy Linux, and copy the files you want to backup into the external drive. If getting all the files back is not necessary, let me know so that we can proceed.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
he said getting files not necessary. has lots of redundacy with other machine. and i'f probably be waiting for days for an external drive. it took quite a few days to get the flash drive.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Happyrock to get puppy linux do i want a package with most recent date?
ie: Packages-puppy-2-official

or do i want 2 files? ie:
puppy-2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso 23-May-2007 22:09 90M
[TXT] puppy-2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso.md5.txt 23-May-2007 22:09 73

if the files do i take thje most recent date? full drivers or no?

save them directly on flash drive?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This is the one:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions...6-seamonkey.iso
That is a direct link.

The .iso.md5.txt file is to verify that the download was not corrupted. It has a MD5 hash that you compare with the downloaded file's hash. To keep this simple ignore this step.

Once downloaded, burn the .iso file to a CD using BurnCDCC. Boot up from the CD on a computer that has a CD drive. Then follow the instructions from here: http://www.pendrivel...y-linux-on-usb/

Once you have Puppy on a USB drive, then boot from USB on the bad computer, and copy the files that you want, but that are not stored anywhere else, on the USB drive itself. Then backup the files copied to another computer. Let me know if you have any questions or are ready to move on.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i got the iso downloaded and downloaded burncdcc. burned the cd. the desktop booted from the cd. i did the install to the usb flash drive.

i took it to the laptop and got it set to go to the flash drive for boot and it gave me a message "no bootable partician in table"

i must have done something wrong.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go into a good computer, and format the flash drive. To do this, go to My Computer, right click the flash drive, and choose Format. Then choose the filesystem FAT32, and choose quick format. Then start the process. Now try installing Puppy to the drive again.

If that doesn't work we might have to just go on without getting the files back. If you still want some files, then we can perform a non-destructive recovery.

Advertisements

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
well format and redid and got invalid boot parameter, but remembered one choice where is said normally choose this one but if you have problems booting choose another and it said "i have had good luck with xxx xxx.

went back and tried again and made that choice and the laptop will boot. i may go crazy using the touch pad but it will boot.

in the hp partition what files would be there? just windows or would software like word be there too?

getting late but making some progress.

thank you for sticking with me on this.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I think you are ready, unless you want access to some other files.
You can try something else: http://www.pendrivel...dows/#more-1629

You can also try this: http://www.pendrivel...l-from-windows/

Edited by edge2022, 30 May 2009 - 11:20 PM.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
just to be sure i have got it right. i have a bootable puppy linux flash. we are going to put another iso on the same flash. they will work together and crating a 2nd iso will not wipe out the first that we have now?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Format your flash drive to erase everything on it, as I have said before. Then follow the 1st link I gave in my previous post. If that doesn't work, then re-format and try the 2nd link.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
OK.

before i erase puppy, i am going to try to figure out how to maybe save ms-word. i do not know if it will be in that partitian we are going to use to restore or not.

bear with me as i have never seen any time of linux before.