Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

installing software onto external drive

• Please log in to reply

Ironside

Ironside

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Is it feasible to install programmes such as photo shop, or Dreamweaver onto both the C drive, and (K)external hard drive ?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
I am not sure why you want to do that. It would tend to get confusing.

You would have to do the first install and point to where you want it installed ©
You would then have to do a complete new install and point to (K).
It would create 2 desktop shortcuts and 2 program shortcuts. You would have to know which is which one.

I an not sure what it would do to the registry (maybe someone else would know that.
You would have to be sure also that the K drive letter never changes. If it is set to automatically assign a letter, then it would change when you added and took away devices.
You can set it where you can assign it, and it never changes. Thats done in computer management.

Ironside

Ironside

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
What I I would really like to do is be able to back up all my files programs etc, so if anything goes wrong, I having got to reinstall everything again, possible?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
There a couple ways you could do what you want. Depending on your needs.
You can run a backup program that will backup just your data to another drive or DVD, etc. I use synkback and ghost.

You can clone the entire drive to a new hard drive. Doing this, if the main 1 crashes, you just swap the 2 drives.

You can also do an image of the main drive. This would take less space and when the main drive crashes, you would boot from the emergency boot CD that you create. This will then allow you access to the "image " you created and allow you to reimage the main drive.