Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Long story.. Freezing ends in disaster..

• Please log in to reply

Seejayreaper

Seejayreaper

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi guys! Appreciate the help in advance if you can help me.

Here goes...

I assume my PC specs will apprear below. I have ran this computer with no real problems for years. The only problem ive had is with an ADAT soundcard (i do alot of music production) that kept dropping audio and in the end i boxed the card and gave up till i could afford a new card (then i find out that its not the card thats the problem when i put it in my ex's machine and it works fine but nevermind).

So the other week i get hold of a massive VSTi for cubase and its about 30GB of disk space and needs extracting. Extracted the first few files and they took about an hour each so that was fine but on about the 3rd one the pc completly freezes up needing reset button. I then think it maybe overheating so i leave the pc off for about 4 hours before trying again. Then it works for a bit then freezes again. I tried removing one ram stick, then the other, but still the same problem so not a memory problem. Not an overclocking or overheating problem as ive had a monitor on it whilst extracting and my case is well ventilated. Also tried a complete format and reinstall.. same problem.

Then earlier today the pc gives up completly and everytime it started up (even cold in the morning) it just freezes a few seconds after settling on the desktop. I then think dam what about my files. so i try to start in safe mode and it STILL freezes about the same amount of time. Then finally disaster struck. I think the amound of reset buttons its had screwed windows and when i next reset it i got this message seconds after pressing the on button:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom.
select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

Ok so i get my windows disk and put it in. Now usually it would come up with the first screen with the option to repair windows... but this time its just going straight to the part where you select the partition to install windows to! So i cannot repair. Xpress recovery doesnt respond either and last known configuration and safe mode end with the same result.

By now ive got on my laptop and ordered a newer motherboard and 4GB of new DDR2 ram for it as i know its forked in one way or another and my sound card didnt work with it anyway. Will arrive tomorrow morning... but i cant get to my files :) got alot of important stuff on there and as always... not backed up :)

Any ideas guys? Sorry about long post but i figured i better explain in the most detail i can.

Thanks in advance!!!

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

You have a corrupted registry. Let's first get all the important files off your hard drive first though.

It is not a problem to get back your files. Click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig, and you should have access to all your files, and the ability to copy them onto an external drive. Reformatting and reinstalltion will not be required to fix this problem, unless under abnormal circumstrances.

So this problem first began with the extracting of a large file? What program did you use to extract it?

Seejayreaper

Seejayreaper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ahh thank you muchly! I forgot about ubuntu... i tried it a while ago but i couldnt get it to look as good as it did on the demo video!

Anyways that sorts my files.

Do you mean the corrupt registry caused the freezing? or just the error?

I was using winrar to extract the large files.

Thanks my friend

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The corrupt registry caused the startup error. First get your files off the drive and into an external drive.

Next time you might want to try another extractor, like 7-Zip.
http://www.7-zip.org/

Do you have your Windows CD?

Seejayreaper

Seejayreaper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Is Winzip not stable then? I always thought it was brilliant! It's never caused my pc to freeze before now.. in fact i started to extract the files on my laptop (that im on now) after my pc gave up and it works fine on here?

yep got my windows disk here :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Might be some other unknown issue then. I have never used Winzip, 7-Zip works better for me.

Good thing you have your Windows CD. Now, click on "Repair Common Windows Startup Problems" in my sig and follow the directions.

Seejayreaper

Seejayreaper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hah sorry i typed winzip by mistake the 2nd time.. i meant winrar. very similar really i suppose. Ok i'll try that! :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good. That should allow you to boot into Windows. Did you ever see a Blue Screen on your computer?

Seejayreaper

Seejayreaper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No i havent seen a blue screen in about a year now!! ive been lucky.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I have never seen a BSOD on my computer for about 4 years now. :)
Can you boot into Windows now?

Seejayreaper

Seejayreaper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh no!

When in ubuntu and trying to access my 2nd HDD to copy my files too it cant mount it. I followed instructions in your page to mount a volume but it doesnt want to work :)

Everytime i type the sudo mount/dev/sdb1/mnt into terminal it just says command not found :)

any ideas?

Seejayreaper

Seejayreaper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Actually dont worry! My saving grace once again is my ipod, plugged in and acted as removable storage :) will let you know when ive sorted windows. waiting in excitement for my new stuff to arrive so i can rip this fecker apart lol

Seejayreaper

Seejayreaper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok so i backed up my files to my ipod. Then tried your tutorial to repair windows. But as i said before i cannot get to the windows recovery console! When i put in my xp disk it loads up and goes through the usual loading jargon at the bottom of the blue screen before the xp installation welcome screen but it doesnt come! It seems to just skip 3 or so pages (licence agreement, blah blah) and goes straight to the disk partition selection screen! So i cant press 'R' to get to recovery.

However this is no longer a problem. Im going to rebuild the PC now and completly zap it with a hard format and a clean install. The main thing was just getting back my files and you helped me to do that. Thank you very much! :)

Im actually considering installing ubuntu on my laptop and trying it out for a while... those advanced desktop graphics features are just awsome and look way too cool :)

Thanks again!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

those advanced desktop graphics features are just awsome and look way too cool

I love them too. The window warping effect is really nice.
Good to see that you got your files off your drive, and everything is going smoothly. :)
If you migrate from Windows to Ubuntu, hopefully you won't be facing problems like this anymore. I suggest making a dual boot Ubuntu and XP, if your hard drive is big enough.