Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Keyboard problems on XP home sp2 reinstall.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dez_chg

dez_chg

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey,

I'm new to this forum so hi to everyone. :)

I'm having a problem trying to fix my friends Dell Dimension E520. It has had years of abuse from a user that doesnt know how to look after a PC.

I said i would reinstall the OS using the Reinstall disk provided by Dell. However i get stuck during the install when a messege pops up to install drivers. the problem is the mouse and keyboard are nonresponsive.

The system doesnt have PS2 conndcections, only USB. I think its the OS not having drivers for the USB ports during the install.

I've checked the BIOS and everything to do with USBs is set to enabled.

How can i get a working XP OS on the hard drive when im having the problem of the keybaord and mouse not working during install.

on a slightly differant note. would Vista have this same problem?

any help would be great.

many many thanks

Dez

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Have you wiped the computer with the disk or are you just doing a Repair?
USB support is native during Windows Setup and needs no further drivers. A screwed up installation, if you're repairing that one, can be made worse by virtue of repairing it. You'll do better just to wipe it.

dez_chg

dez_chg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks, i gave in and installed vista :)

fresh install was the way.

thanks again

Dez