Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP with P4 cpu upgrade for my Dell

• Please log in to reply

Jaysonius

Jaysonius

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, my name is Jayson and i'm new to this forum. I would love for anyone to be able to give me some helpful suggestions as to what it could be that's making my new 3.0g cpu run at 1.50g. i've researched that it could be my bios settings or speedstep, or compatibility issues. that's cool, but the thing i need help with is how i would go about finding out which one of these is the actual cause. if it's bios settings, how would i change them? if it's speedstep, What the... is speedstep? lol. if it's compatibility i understand that i'm probably just screwed, but being able to narrow it down with the help of you guys and girls here would be greatly appreciated. i'm using a dell optiplex gx240 but it's not the horizontal tower - it's an upright. also, the previous cpu was 1.8ghz P4. i'm not necessarily a noob at this stuff but i'm not a champ either, so i can give further specs if needed but i'm relying on this forum to help me out thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jay

Advertisements

OldTex

OldTex

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi; I think that you have more CPU than you system can take. Have you looked in the bios to see if it see's the CPU as a 3.0 and the correct model? If not Dell may not have installed this one in this unit before. Here is the link for the owners manual: http://support.dell....g/pdf/4g172.pdf

Where I work we use Dells and had a unit similar to your's we now use Dell Optiplex GX620, they are cheap with the case cooling using the CPU fan to also cool the case. We have lost several PCs from over heating. Your best bet may be in getting a new board to match the CPU and possibably a new case. I hope this helps. OldTex