Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to Bypass Web Filter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

TentativeChaos

TentativeChaos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok so here's the deal: I need my internets. I love my internets. Unfortunately for me LightSpeed Sytems inc. does not like my internets (See where I'm going with this?). Anyway, I've already tried the easy stuff, all online proxys I've tried are already blocked (including Google Translator) and typing in the IP address instead of the www address won't work either.
Please help.

>Computer = Dell running windows XP
(But I'm currently booting into Ubuntu v9.04 from a flashdrive)
>The web blocking server is in a locked cabinet off-site so I can't access it.

>Also asking around in another area got me this advice, which I would be happy to try, unfortunately I can't figure out exactly what I need to do based on this description so if anybody could clarify/explain that would be a great help.

don't use your usb to boot up the PC what you need to do is configure your portable ubuntu to save progress after that make sure you have sun xm virtual box install and run the schools computer OS through the virtual computer note that this produce a lot of lag especially using govt computers after everything is ready boot the school PC up normally and open your drive i think ubuntu 9+ has the help tool for booting from usb so use that reboot the computer and u should be in ubuntu boot up the virtual pc and make sure everything is configured how it should be on the schools pc to prevent them from finding out if this does not work throw out ubuntu and get kubuntu with the network tools then unlock the network which is very easy if you use the network tools given to you you can also find the administrative user name and password using these tools if all else fails you will have to get a portable proxy to use when running ubuntu/kubuntu

Thanks!

P.S. I promiss I won't be breaking any laws with the information obtained here.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I promiss I won't be breaking any laws with the information obtained here.

Nice to know but not really the point.
This web filter seems to be some technology used in schools to block access to unsuitable sites/material on the Internet from school-based computers. Therefore if its the school's internet you're using you do so on their terms or, in a nutshell, you don't use it at all.
Therefore you'll get no assistance here I'm afraid.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Neil Jones is right. This topic is closed.