Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yahoo Messenger Issue

• Please log in to reply

girouxtex

girouxtex

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been using "phone calls" with Messenger on an XP for years. I just purchased a new Dell Vista and loaded Yahoo Messenger. It seems to work OK but the other party cannot hear me. I had the Geek squad check the mic and it seems to be fine. The other party is using an older version of Messinger. Any experience with this?

Advertisements

mickydee

mickydee

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You say "phone calls" in inverted commas so I take that as voice messaging - pc to pc
If you have a mic in addition to your built in one, it may be just a case of setting your plug-in mic to default.

Check your settings

TEST SPEAKERS

Right click on speaker icon in System Tray
Select "Playback Devices"
The speaker icon ( checked as working) and volume level graph should be visible
Right click on the volume graph and click "Test"
Left hand speakers followed by right hand should be heard

SET DEFAULT & TEST MIC

Click "Recording" tab.
Set required mic as default - click on mic font to highlight and click "Properties"
In lower dropbox display "Use this device enable" click OK
Similarly disable any other unwanted mic
Click "Levels" tab and set slider to 80% ( adjust to suit later)
Return to "Recording". Test mic by speaking and make sure volume graph displays

CONFIGURE TO MESSENGER

Open messenger - on top toolbar. Left click ( > ) Messenger > Preferences > Connection - Select 'no proxies' or 'connect direct to the internet' depending on the version of messenger you have
make sure your internet connection and country are correct in the lower two boxes > Apply > OK

Click ( > ) Messenger > Preferences > Calling and Audio
Set mic and speakers to show Default equipment
Run call up assistant to test audio equipment > Apply > OK

I cannot remember if the XL set up was the same - if not the programs will have to be accessed from your Control Panel.