Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp sluggish and sticy

• Please log in to reply

DarkWytch

DarkWytch

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi, my computer is giveing me problems. I just did a fresh install of windows xp today and updated all my drivers and other updates. Least thats what the windows update security site thingy said. I have installed trend micro and i have ad-aware free. I also have ccleaner and advanced system care3. After i installed all the important programs and updated my computer i started haveing these problems. I updated the fix for trend micro. I also ran the test programs to clean spyware and other junk files.

My system takes like 5 minutes or so to fully load. And when i try to log onto my computer games it starts sticking and i get repeating sound from the games It doesnt matter wich game they all do it. I try to go to my windows live email program and my mouse will stick i can only guess its freezing for some wierd reason then restarting. I dont know why either. After i try and run my games, most times i cant read my back up d: . (350 gig western digital) which mostly only has music on it from before i formatted and reinstalled xp onto the c:

I have a dell dimension 4600i
cpu is a p4 3.40 ghz
memory is 2.5 gig
c: is 80gig with 31.4 gig free space on it.
direct x 9.0c
xp home ed 5.1, build 2600

even typing this out my machine lagged like 6 times. i call it lag because i dont know what else to call it.. it just pauses for a few seconds and starts back up againn. Please help.. I know my machine is old I've had it going on 4 years in june. but it still works. Please help.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download, install, and run Whats Running.
Click on Take snapshot in the left pane.
New pop-up window will open.
Click on Save snapshot, and save the file as snap (.xml extension will be added automatically) to know location.

Posted Image

Zip the file, and attach it to your next reply.

DarkWytch

DarkWytch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok here is the zip file i hope i did it right..

Attached Files

• Attached File  snap.zip   70.4KB   257 downloads

DarkWytch

DarkWytch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Did i do it right?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
1. All I can see is 26 startups, and some of them are not needed.
To see them better....
Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Export As, and save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
Attach the file to your next reply.

2. Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same slow startup?

DarkWytch

DarkWytch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok i honestly dont know whats going on. I did as you said and then i rebooted and everything seemed like it went to all [bleep].. as I was rebooting. the boot up screen.. you know the thing that says your bios manufacture and version and dell 4600i and all that? Well it was like so slow.. Each letter looked like it was being typed in manually..instead of instantly popping up like it used to. I honestly dont know what to do. Please please help..

I uploaded both the autoruns.. one before like you said and i took an extra one for after the msconfig thing..

I also noticed that i got a message i never saw before..

diskette drive 0 seek failure

i think thats all it said i went to write it down and it changed screens and i was so worried about restarting it again that it might never restart..

Attached Files

Edited by DarkWytch, 16 May 2009 - 08:28 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I think, you may have some hardware problem.

1. Run memtest: http://www.techspot....topic62524.html

2. Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD, and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, which is not listed, try using Hitachi tools.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I agree with Broni...this sounds like hardware issue
you should also look in the bios and set the bios to the default settings...they are sometimes called optimized settings...while in the bios check the hard drive transfer speed...it should be DMA

DarkWytch

DarkWytch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok.. this did not work. I did that.. and the other thing. then i thought hey.. maybe my hard drive is giveing out on me.. so i removed it and tried to get the other one i have to be my main drive.. only my computer wouldnt even register that there wwaI went into my bios.. and it didnt read it.. but as soon as i put the other drive back in it would read both of them. So ok i went and used dban and wiped both of them. and then did a clean install of xp.. i installed sound card driver from the cd.. installed network driver from dell resource cd. and then i installed firefox and my graphics card driver.. ran some updates from the auto update thingy and rebooted when i was asked. then i go to install steam from the steampowered site. And it starts acting up again. I dont understand this. it was working just fine before i went and tried to reinstall xp the first time. I ran memtest.. as instructed.. said no error.. hard drive diagongistics *spelling probably wrong there but i dont care atm* My head hurts so much atm.. lol I dont know what to do.. I dont know why it wouldnt read my other drive. I had that same problem when I first installed it. I had to go into disk management and had to activate it and then format it.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Motherboard, maybe?

DarkWytch

DarkWytch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I dont see how that would be the problem when it worked fine before i reinstaled xp. I was just in the process of installing a very huge update.. 33 of them from the microsoft updater thing. and i got an error with $soemthingname$? asking me to try and install it somewhere else.. so i dont know what that was about i was in the process of rebooting when i got the error. those long wait times are hidious when you try and reboot when asked. Any ways.. this is giveing me a huge headache.. I just dont understand why its doing this.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
change the cable...MAKE SURE its a 40 pin 80 wire ide cable...

DarkWytch

DarkWytch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi guys.. I wanted to let you know I got it fixed some how. I got and replaced my new video card with another new video card. I dont know why it was doing that But *shrug* it works.

On another note. I still get that diskette drive 0 seek error. I replaced both the ide cables and the cd drive cables and it still does it. But it runs and i can do everything i did before i reformatted my pc. So . Again thank you for all your help. I was getting slightly frusterated there.

*bows to the patient tech peoples.*

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good news...
Thanks for posting back :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for the diskette drive 0 seek error...
set the boot order in the bios to cd drive then hard drive...save the settings...reboot
still have the error
look in your bios and disable the floppy drive...save the settings and reboot...

Edited by happyrock, 29 May 2009 - 07:12 AM.