Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP. vs Vista

• Please log in to reply

bkmmjones

bkmmjones

• Pip
  • 0 posts
Topic for anyone

Need to know if window vista is a more stable platform than windows xp. I have had xp for a while but lately have had a few problems. Thinking of switching to vista. Also can vista be downloaded over xp

Thanks

Advertisements

General Mayhem

General Mayhem

• Pip
  • 0 posts
I have a laptop with Vista Home pre-loaded (thanks Dell!) but still have XP on my desktop. I really haven't had any issues between the two. From what I've seen XP and Vista are pretty close in comparison as far as stability.

I'd hold out for Windows 7, and even then wait a couple of months to see what the user community as a whole thinks about it.

Not sure about putting Vista over XP. You might have to go the upgrade route rather than a clean install.

Edited by General Mayhem, 15 May 2009 - 07:47 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 21,803 posts
  • MVP
I'm moving this to the Vista forum.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Also can vista be downloaded over xp

Clean install is always preferred method.

trucker

trucker

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
I use both some. But i think XP is about to be put on the shelf like win98. So I would say move forward, vista has been not so good (buggy) to say the least but alot are getting worked out, and just in time for the new release of windows 7 go figure. money money money....
I use Ubuntu 9.04 now its pretty much a no brainier to install very compatible with most all of the hardware I have, no looking for drivers. No defrags or anti virus and best of all its Free. and if you really want some fun look at Linux Puppy . its around 99 MB you don't even install it to your hard drive. and you don't need to be a geek like most think when they hear linux. I have an old Pen laptop yup P1, 128 mb of ram puppy runs like greased lightning on it. its a good web surfer now. There is more than microsoft in this world open your eyes.

Edited by trucker, 16 May 2009 - 05:09 AM.