Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows installer not installed

• Please log in to reply

kmoffett

kmoffett

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just got an ipod touch which i would really like to use. However, itunes will not install to my computer. It downloads completely, but when it trys to install, I get a message saying something like "Windows installer service cannot be accessed. May not be installed correctly. Contact system personnel." I have spent hours trying to figure something out and looking up the answer, but nothing has helped. Any ideas?

Advertisements

kmoffett

kmoffett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
also, i saw on some other posts to look it up on run, which i did, and it says service status: stopped. I pressed start and it says it try to start it and then it stopped, some services will not start without being in use (or something like that). Could that be the problem?

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Hi kmoffett

the windows installer service depends on two other services to function correctly. verify that the DCOM & RPC services are started, then try starting the windows installer service.

Edited by Ectech, 15 May 2009 - 02:11 AM.

kmoffett

kmoffett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Both of these are started on my computer, but Window Installer still will not start. Any other suggestions?

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
there's two things i can think of. first, go to the malware removal section and have them check your computer. many windows installer issues are due to malware. second, install windows installer 4.5

Link: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
sorry to get in your conversation but I'm having a similar problem where my vista tells me tha same. I'm new to vista, how can I check if the DCOM & RPC services started?

thank you

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
hi rigs,

to view the services running on your computer press the windows key & R simultaneously.

then type services.msc and click ok.

when the services applet window appears expand the window, scroll down in the right plane and locate DCOM Server Process Launcher and verify its started.

next, scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) verify its also started.

both DCOM & RPC should be running automatically by default, if either one is not started then right click the service and select properties, under startup type: select automatic.