Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to change from wireless to wired.

• Please log in to reply

ContradictiveIrony

ContradictiveIrony

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok i'm using a Vista OS and i have a wireless connection.

My ISP is Starhub, (i'm from singapore) and my modem has a cable which must be connected a specific area or it wouldn't work. Its like that. One way is to call someone to my house to help me re run the cables which is not an option. I heard that wired connections are much more stable and i've been trying to do that.

My router is a prolink router. Its been with me for more than a year, could it be the router problem? I wanna be sure. I don't want to waste money on getting a new router if i could.

My router is connected with my modem through the ethernet cable. Whenever i remove the router and connect it to my computer directly, the LINK button on my modem disappears which results in the loss of internet connectivity. Even when i connect the router to my computer directly, it shows that there is an internet connection and all the buttons light up on my modem except for the LINK button.
I correctly inserted the ethernet cable into the ethernet port on my computer but still it ain't working.
Help anyone?

Anyway how to make this connection a wired one? Because i'm really having tons of disconnections.

No matter what i do, whenever the router is not connected to the modem, i can't use the internet.

Note: My computer and the modem are at opposite ends apart. My modem is in the living room and it can't be moved. Same for my computer, it can't be moved away because there ain't any more space other than my room.

Another note: The disconnection occurs really often like every 5 minutes or so when i'm playing DOTA. This sucks. I'm never able to finish a game.

Edited by ContradictiveIrony, 15 May 2009 - 07:30 AM.

Advertisements