Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Using Winow 95 program on computer with XP

• Please log in to reply

ABS Family

ABS Family

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am a principal at a Christian school and I have a problem. We have computer tests that are on CDs and they are for windows 95 operating system. In order to open the program we have to
1. Go to the start menu and enter the prompt
2. Hit Run.
3. We also use a floppy to store each individual test results.

Here is the problem. The older computers keep wearing out and we are down to two computers that have 95 os.
Is there a way to either
1. Get the program to work on XP os or
2. Put a seperate 95os on the computers that have Xp on them. Could you set it up as a seperate os, when you boot you must select which os you want. And if this is viable, where do I get 95 os that can be used as duel os?

Thanks for the help. I am counting on the smart ones to help me out.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Your best bet may be XP's Compatibility Mode..

As per Microsoft..

Set Compatibility Properties Manually
As an alternative to running the Program Compatibility Wizard, you can set the compatibility properties for a program manually

To set the compatibility properties for a program manually:

1. Right-click the program icon on your desktop or the shortcut on the Start menu for the program you want to run, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Compatibility tab, and change the compatibility settings for your program.

Note The Compatibility tab is only available for programs installed on your hard drive. Although you can run the Program Compatibility Wizard on programs or Setup files on a CD-ROM or floppy disk, your changes will not remain in effect after you close the program.

As for installing Win95 on your XP systems, forget it. You will never find Win95 drivers for your hardware.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A copy of Virtual PC is an option.
Install Virtual PC into XP, then install Windows 95 into Virtual PC so you have an operating system inside an operating system.