Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HOW TO SET UP NETWORKING TO BE SECURE

• Please log in to reply

snowgypsy

snowgypsy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a Netgear wireless-G Router networking to computers and one laptop that it all set up and using. My network is not secure and I need to secure it using either WEP or WPS-PSK (Which should I use also). I went on the Netgear site and it is too confusing and if done wrong will block out one or all os my computers. Can you tell me how that is very easy to understand? :)

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey snowgypsy -- welcome to G2G :)

[EDIT] By the way, if you lock yourself out of the router via wireless, you can always connect to it with an Ethernet cable (i.e. wired) and disable the security. [/EDIT]

I assume the Netgear page you were talking about was this one -- Configuring Wireless Security (WEP/WPA/Access list)? Those instructions are good, however the only section that you are interested in is Configuring WPA-PSK Encryption. Ignore the sections in regards to WEP and Access Control Lists.

When you are at the Wireless Settings screen, follow the options they specify. Your passphrase can be anything, for example geeks to go is a valid passphrase. Type anything you like, however you will need to remember it (i.e. write it down!) as you'll have to type it into all of your computers.

Once you have done that, click the Apply button. You will then need to Configure WPA-PSK on Windows XP (go to that specific section on the page) and follow the instructions. Where it says Network key type in your passphrase that you saved on your router.

If there's anything that you don't understand / isn't clear, please let us know and we'll attempt to clear things up for you.
- Dan

Edited by Dan, 16 May 2009 - 04:53 AM.