Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Brand new Hard Drive has Click of Death?

• Please log in to reply

matrixaffiliate

matrixaffiliate

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a brand new 20GB 2.5" IDE hard drive that I'll be using for a PC104 stack and am accessing it through a USB to IDE cable. When I plug it into the cable all I get is the dreaded Clicking of Death. The cable is brand new and works with every other IDE HD I use it with. I don't have a laptop to try booting up the hard drive so I don't know if it would boot under normal conditions. I'm not concerned about data recovery because the HD shipped empty and I've only had it for a day now. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. =)

Thank you!
Matrixaffiliate

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
20Gb hard drives have not been possible to buy brand new for a long while (the smallest available now is 80Gb) now so it's more likely your drive was actually second-hand. Clicking noises mean the drive is effectively toast.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
It could be NOS (New Old Stock), but either way, the drive sounds dead.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
I recently had a 320gb drive that had weird noises and clicking. Device manager would not see it. I returned it.
I suggest you the same for yours.

matrixaffiliate

matrixaffiliate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks everyone for your responses. :) The company took it back and gave me a New/Old 20GB hard drive that works fine. :)