Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory compatibility

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Hi all

just a quick question about memory. i have an intel dx48bt2 motherboard and according to the specs it only supports DDR3 dual channel memory. if i were to install DDR3 triple channel will it be compatible? i know most modem motherboards are fairly flexible about adjusting the settings automaticlly. is this possible?

Edited by Ectech, 15 May 2009 - 01:38 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Dual channel and triple channel are not RAM features but motherboard features. Dual channel RAM and triple channel RAM only means the RAM makers packaged two and three sticks in one package. The dual and triple RAM packages are primarily for customer convenience - and more money from the RAM makers. Understand, there never was a requirement for "identical" modules (sticks) to enable dual or triple channel. They only must be the same size, same speed, and same density (number of chips on the module).

So if your dual channel board has 3 (or more) slots, you can use 3 modules. You need to read your motherboard manual to find out which 3 (if you have 4) to use to take advantage of the motherboard's dual channel architecture, since many boards support dual channel with 3 modules too.

Ectech

Ectech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.

currently i dont have any memory for that system, so i can't test anything yet. thanks for the info though.

Dual channel RAM and triple channel RAM only means the RAM makers packaged two and three sticks in one package.

wow, i never noticed that. thanks