Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot.ini repeatedly deleted

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
To steenkh,
After following this guide: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
Please make a new topic in the Malware Forum with the required logs. Your problem might be slightly different than britechguy's issue, and we don't want you to risk ruining your computer.

Advertisements

CatByte

CatByte

GeekU Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 2,636 posts
  • MVP
AskUpradeService has been known to cause issues with the boot.ini

go to Start>Run type msconfig
>OK
Under the Services tab look for the AskUpgradeService > disable it.

See if that resolves the issue.

This may or maynot resolve your particular issue...in my experience the times that this has occurred, the machines have also been infected with malware.

Follow the instructions previously given to post in the malware removal forum.

AskUpgrade Service is known to be installed by VUSE a peer2peer program - more evidence of the perils of using peer2peer software.

Edited by CatByte, 23 June 2009 - 01:23 PM.

steenkh

steenkh

• Pip
  • 3 posts

AskUpradeService has been known to cause issues with the boot.ini

Yes, that was the case for me, too. I am still investigating if there is any malware involved.

Other who may have seen this problem, please note that in my case the "All Users" profile was also reset. The Start Menu was unaffected, but most other folders were gone, or reduced. For instance the Application Data folder only had five subfolders whereas my backup showed 25 subfolders!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
AskUpradeService seems to be the culprit to this problem. Excellent find, CatByte. :)

Austin44

Austin44

• Pip
  • 1 posts
For information:

I have recently seen a computer with the same problem, the boot.ini being repeatedly deleted at startup, and it was AskUpgradeService which was deleting it. However, it turns out that the AskUpgradeService was installed with the Ask toolbar in this case. (not sure if it is installed with Azureus Vuze?)

Uninstalling the Ask toolbar, and then rebuilding the boot.ini was enough to fix the problem, in this particular instance.

Correciton; it seems that Azureus Vuze offers to install the Ask toolbar.

Edited by Austin44, 04 July 2009 - 12:15 PM.

rc cool

rc cool

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Same problem of boot.ini getting deleted on every boot is being faced by me too.

But I have some other problem also. All folders starting with the letters A, B or C are getting deleted on every boot. (I have windows XP professional SP3). This started first by deletion of folders starting with letter A, then afterwards those starting with B (in the next boot) and so on. Since then all folders with names starting with A, B or C gets deleted immediately on rebooting. Also, in "Documents and settings", all folders below Administrator gets deleted on every reboot.

I suspect that the problem started after I downloaded a uTorrent software from the net. Tried various antivirus, spybot S&D but like others in the forum, there is no improvement even after fixation of all detected virus/adware etc. Is it possible that the original virus, before getting deleted through scanners could have already created a command file somewhere, which is called up at booting time to do its dirty work? Such "file" could look like a perfectly genuine file to scanners. If so then which are the places to search for such file(s)

This problem is scaring the daylights out of me... do not know when the next folder will get deleted. The next folder on line is "documents and settings", assuming that the malware/virus is somewhat alphabetically inclined.

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I'd advise those of you with this problem to follow the instructions that were given by edge2022 as far as getting a new thread started in the malware forum for your instances of this problem.

The AskUpgradeService did not seem to be the problem in my case, since things stayed wacko even after deleting it.

The malware forum folks are *very* helpful!! I also think that this is something that has not, as yet, been definitively identified and the more people who go through the formal "cleansing" steps the more likely it is that eventually the culprit(s) will be pinned down.

Brian

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Thank you britechguy for pointing everyone in the right direction. :)
Please follow the guide here: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
And if the problem doesn't go away, post the logs asked for in the guide in the Malware Forum under a new topic.

rc cool

rc cool

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Problem seems to have been resolved after removal of AskUpgradeService. However, keeping fingers crossed for maybe a few days.

Now my boot.ini file in C:\ and other folders (names starting with letters A, B or C) are not getting deleted.

May follow directions of edge2022 later.

Thanks to all, especially to CatByte.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good to see this resolved...
We have seen 2 things cause this
1. IE8 install
2. AskUpgradeService
Very good finds.

Advertisements

Goto

Goto

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Had this same problem for about 3 days. Fixed it last night. Wound up being some maladjusted java BHO in Internet explorer. It would deleted boot.ini, D:\data, and the Recovery Console Stuff. Look out for websites pushing java at you!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Thank you for providing another possible fix :)

mindbender

mindbender

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The boot.ini problem being deleted on every reboot occurred with me as well. I put the IE8 REMOVAL and back to IE7 togethere with AskUpgrad tool bar in IE 8 and releaized it was partly IE8 because some of the holders of the browser had the AskUpgrade as an addon so all I did was remove completely this addon through AddRemove programs in XP and problem resolved.

Now can anyone tell me how to get the Boot.ini TAB back in the MSCONFIG utility display and this dangerous IE 8 toolbar also removed that as well or at leaset I suspect it did as it was removing anything with the phrase boot.ini in it.??????????? :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Here is a fix for the msconfig problem: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootini.htm

The toolbar seems to be gone now.

rick128

rick128

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi there,

I had the same issue very recently on XP (MCE SP3) - pulled my hair out for a day or so, turned out in the end to be the fault of a recent upgrade to IE8! Uninstalled IE8 and reverted to IE7 and hey presto, the boot.inin stopped being deleted. There isn't much on the net about this, but it looks like an add-on manager is causing the problem in IE8. If you have recently upgraded to IE8 give it a try - this does NOT mean your HD is heading south (well not definitively anyway :)

Hope this helps.

I just install IE8, and can't boot exactly the same. And then uninstall IE8, everything goes normal. Just keep away from IE8, I would recommend.