Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezes after 10 minutes or so

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

When was the last time, you cleaned the computer inside?

If you haven't done this for about 4-6 months, then do it now. If you decide to clean the dust off your case, make sure that you don't touch any circuit boards or components without grounding yourself. An easy way to do this, is to keep one hand on the computer's metal case, while using the other hand to clean.

As for the CPU temp reading...
Try going into your BIOS settings, and go through all the menus to see if there is a temperature reading.

Advertisements

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Cleaned the computer inside? well.... let's see now.... OK never.....I'll get right on it and then let you know if anything changes.
Thanks

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Cleaned the computer inside? well.... let's see now.... OK never

You might want to get to that, but follow the guidelines:

If you decide to clean the dust off your case, make sure that you don't touch any circuit boards or components without grounding yourself. An easy way to do this, is to keep one hand on the computer's metal case, while using the other hand to clean.

This is very important, if you discharge static to any computer components they will be destroyed.
First though, check for the CPU temp reading in the BIOS.

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hmmmm..... the last time I cleaned the computer inside? .....................let me think....................wait, I know..never........yeah that's it.. never...
OK, I'll get right on it and report back to you
Thanks

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
While using compressed air to clean fans, hold fans' blades with a pencil, so the blades won't get damaged from spinning.
Of course, all those actions are done, when computer OFF.
When dome with cleaning, and the case still open, turn the computer on, and see, if all fans are running.

DO NOT USE VACUUM CLEANER!

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
"As for the CPU temp reading...
Try going into your BIOS settings, and go through all the menus to see if there is a temperature reading."

How do I check for the CPU temp reading in the BIOS?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I don't know the exact BIOS you have, but here is a tutorial for most BIOSs: http://www.computerh...es/ch000192.htm
Once you get into the setup, make sure you don't change anything. Just look through the menus for a temp reading.

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Could not find any temperature related info in the BIOS. I'll be commmencing witht he cleaning process shortly.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All right. Make sure you follow Broni's advice.

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Using Windows Task Manager, I was checking "Processes" to see if there was some sort of draw on CPU usage. One thing I noticed was System Idle Process was usually around 99 but sometimes would dip signifcantly, while another file "fssm32.exe" would go from 0 to 50 somewhat randomly. This file is part of F-Prot Anti-Virus, so I disabled the program and things seemed to be working OK. I later re-enabled the program and everything seems OK still, so far. I'll let you know if things go sour again.
Thanks to all for your time and expertise.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Using Windows Task Manager, I was checking "Processes" to see if there was some sort of draw on CPU usage. One thing I noticed was System Idle Process was usually around 99 but sometimes would dip signifcantly,
that means that your hardly using any CPU processing power...thats normal and a good thing

while another file "fssm32.exe" would go from 0 to 50 somewhat randomly. This file is part of F-Prot Anti-Virus, so I disabled the program and things seemed to be working OK. I later re-enabled the program and everything seems OK still, so far. I'll let you know if things go sour again.
try uninstalling it (F-Prot)and reinstall it

Edited by happyrock, 17 May 2009 - 08:21 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So everything is good for now? System Idle Process, as happyrock said, is not a bad thing to be using a lot of CPU.
Hope everything stays allright.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
System Idle Process at 99% =only 1 % of your computers processing power is being used...the other 99 percent is just hanging around waiting for a task to do...or maybe hang around the pool ogling that scantily clad hot X58 chipset... :)

Edited by happyrock, 17 May 2009 - 05:17 PM.