Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video problems

• Please log in to reply

Satan 2456

Satan 2456

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My monitor is black. i have tried checking vid card,mobo and power supply.they all are good.
Problem is: when i turn comp on the cpu fan goes on high speed,then comp turns off and on by itself over and over. is this a bad cpu ? i looked at cpu and could tell if it was damaged

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Every time I have encountered this problem it has been a bad motherboard. Sometimes caused by a bad PSU, sometimes cause was unknown, or in the case of the Emachines, a bad PSU coupled with a bad design that would result in a 5V short through the southbridge chip (chip would get burning hot while cycling on and off rapidly).

What is the make and model of computer or if it is home built, its stats (processor, amount of ram, type of ram, mother board make and model etc.)

Satan 2456

Satan 2456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Every time I have encountered this problem it has been a bad motherboard. Sometimes caused by a bad PSU, sometimes cause was unknown, or in the case of the Emachines, a bad PSU coupled with a bad design that would result in a 5V short through the southbridge chip (chip would get burning hot while cycling on and off rapidly).

What is the make and model of computer or if it is home built, its stats (processor, amount of ram, type of ram, mother board make and model etc.)

its home built. core 2 e6550, Gigabyte p35c-ds3r, 2048 mb ram Corsair,Xion 650W PSU, Geforce 8600 GT video card

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I would be looking at that PSU. One of my trusted review sites did a review on their 700W one and the oscilloscope showed absolutely HORRIBLE ripple suppression (ripple = random peaks and valleys in the voltage), sometimes getting almost to 40mA limit on the 12V line. The 700W ended up receiving a 5.5 rating. Apparently, on analysis of the circuits; the device was pretty cheaply designed. According to the review only lip service was paid to the ripple supression circuit, there was no APFC, etc. etc. etc.

Hopefully, it has just gone bad and not taken your motherboard out.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 16 May 2009 - 08:01 AM.

Satan 2456

Satan 2456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I would be looking at that PSU. One of my trusted review sites did a review on their 700W one and the oscilloscope showed absolutely HORRIBLE ripple suppression (ripple = random peaks and valleys in the voltage), sometimes getting almost to 40mA limit on the 12V line. The 700W ended up receiving a 5.5 rating. Apparently, on analysis of the circuits; the device was pretty cheaply designed. According to the review only lip service was paid to the ripple supression circuit, there was no APFC, etc. etc. etc.

Hopefully, it has just gone bad and not taken your motherboard out.

the PSU ,and mother board are new. can the ram or cpu be bad ?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
While possible, I have never seen the ram or CPU going bad cause this particular symptom. Usually, when the CPU goes bad it will start posting but give you a CpU error, with ram it will usually not post but give you one long beep (or sometimes it will fully post and give you errors in windows). Unfortunately, the rapid power cycling in my experience (for as little or as much as it is worth) has been a dead motherboard (due to various means).

Satan 2456

Satan 2456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I made a video of what my comp is doing.
You Tube Video-comp problems
it cycles doing this over and over