Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cropped Windows

• Please log in to reply

Harry W

Harry W

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Can anybody help me? When I open my browser, Firefox, or IE, the sides are cropped off. This actually happens when I open any window. I've tried stretching that didn't help. When I open the browser, about a quarter inch of the desktop shows on each side of the browser window. Changing the screen resolution didn't help either. There is about a 1/4'' of the firefox logo and the X box to logoff missing.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to put your cursor on the corner of the window where it should turn into a double sided arrow.
Click and hold the left mouse button and drag the window up and to the center of the screen. This should shrink the screen. Then you drag the screen over to the middle of the screen and everything should be ok. Close the window and reopen it to make sure the settings are held.
Reply back with your results please

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 May 2009 - 05:07 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Also, to quickly minimize or maximize a window, just double click a window in the top; as shown in the picture.
http://s702.photobuc...nt=Maximize.jpg

Harry W

Harry W

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks. I already tried that, it didn't work. It stretched the window, but it was still cutoff. Actually, now I can't even get the double arrow to appear.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you send a picture to accurately describe your problem. Just attach it to your next post.

Harry W

Harry W

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Here are three pics. I marked the area I'm talking about. It's a little hard to see on the browser pics, but you can see the desktop showing thru on the right side. I highlighted the X so you can see what I mean, you can see the outline of the actual width the page should be.

Attached Thumbnails

• monitor2_002.jpg
  • monitor2_001.jpg
  • monitor2.jpg

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
See what happens when you change the theme back to the default, Luna.
Right click the desktop, and choose Properties. Then go to the Themes tab. Then from the drop-down box, choose Windows XP. If that doesn't fix your problem, then choose Windows Classic, and try again.

When did this problem start to happen? What theme are you using for the pics?

Harry W

Harry W

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This started about a month ago. I went online one night and noticed it didn't fill the screen as usual. I thought maybe my wife changed something but she said she wasn't on that day. I was running the Firefox Netscape theme with the Personas addon. I tried the XP and Classic, didn't make any difference. It's really not that big of a deal, just bugs me. Thought maybe it was an easy fix.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try running a sfc check.
If you have your Windows CD, then go to Start -> Run -> sfc /scannow

If you don't have your Windows CD, then check the root of your C: Drive, and make sure it has a folder named I386.
Then, do the registry tweak described here: http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html
Then reboot and try using sfc.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://windowsxp.mvp...IEFAQ.htm#IEMax
Try that too.