Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power off

• Please log in to reply

getfothers

getfothers

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

my computer is turning its self off after about 10 minutes of use. Just "Click" and it off, as if the power has been turned off. I am running windows 7 with a fairly new power supply. Any suggestions on how to confirm its the power supply before spending $ on a new one. Or could it be something else (core temp to high maybe ?).
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Ian

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Start the computer in the BIOS and watch to see what the temp of the cpu goes to. If it gets into the 90 degree range, look for a bad fan or slow fan speed. It may take a adjustable fan to fix, or a adjustment in the bios on the fan speed. It also may be a chipset on the motherboard may be overheating. Check for loose heatsinks( they should not move at all when turned by hand slightly).

SRX660

getfothers

getfothers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I booted into the bios and left it for a couple of hours. Temp seemed to hover around 78 CPU and 44 for the motherboard. It didn't turn off at all.
I rebooted into windows and after about 5 minutes "Click" off it went.
I am running Everest (trial edition) and it has the CPU at 90 degrees. Is this to hot ?

Any other thoughts or idears

regards
Ian

Start the computer in the BIOS and watch to see what the temp of the cpu goes to. If it gets into the 90 degree range, look for a bad fan or slow fan speed. It may take a adjustable fan to fix, or a adjustment in the bios on the fan speed. It also may be a chipset on the motherboard may be overheating. Check for loose heatsinks( they should not move at all when turned by hand slightly).

SRX660