Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HDD causing blue screen of death after recent upgrade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

2kinetic2

2kinetic2

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

My computer died recently, ie. on power up, the fans came on but nothing happen and no output was sent to the monitor. On one occasion I got the 5 beeps from the motherboard which I understand indicates processor failure. The PC was around 5 years old and had been used fairly intensively.

Anyway I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade/rebuild and have just installed the following.
Core i7
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Corsair 6GB DDR3
Sapphire HD 4870

With the intention of leaving everything else unchanged. 600W PSU, hard drives/optical drives etc.

And now onto the problem, when I boot it will get as far as the windows loading screen before giving a BSOD with the 7B code.
So my questions are, in theory should this work, changing so many components but leaving the HDD unchanged, would there be any driver issues?
Is there any reason why the HD should have corrupted? (I accidently tried to boot without plugging in the processor power connector at one point).
If it seems that the problem must be the hard drive then is the best option just a reformat and fresh install, or even a new HDD as well? I can afford to lose the data on the HDD but would rather not if possible.

One other point, before the computer died originally I think I'd been infected by the google direct virus and been unable to fully remove it. Presumably this is of no relevance.

Thanks so much in advance for any help or advice!

Edited by 2kinetic2, 16 May 2009 - 05:18 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Hi 2kinetic2 and welcome to Geek to go.

What you are faced with is the hard drive is trying to use all of the old drivers required for the old board. A fresh install is always recommended.

To get your data off there are a few things you can do.
Hang your hard drive from another computer as a slaved drive. Remove the data and then do the fresh install.
Use a program called Puppy Linux. It is a OS that boots and runs from the CD. You "mount" the drives through the program and then can copy your data to a USB drive.

2kinetic2

2kinetic2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thnaks for your reply 123Runner, that would explain it. I'll try the slave drive and fresh install aproach. :)