Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gimp

• Please log in to reply

trucker

trucker

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Ill try in here I cant get Gimp to work at all with vista. I have tried both 2.4 and 2.6. They open up ok but I cant to anything in the work area.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Did you run the install program as Administrator? Right-click on install file and chose "Run as Administrator". Uninstall all previous versions and try downloading a fresh copy of latest GIMP for Windows. Installed just fine on my Vista 64-bit machine.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
I would have to say I'm not sure. if i did it as admin, I will give that a shot and see if it works next time I boot windows. I don't use it much at all. I do all my Gimp work on linux but needed to know the right path to the .gimp-2.6 folder for adding brushes, fonts and so on for vista. I have it for XP.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
For fonts, see: Where can I get the fonts I'm missing?

For plug-ins, see How do I add new plug-ins?.

More answers at FAQs page.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Thanks Ron
I just checked this out. I did do un-install and re-install as admin.

Odd thing is, It now works again.

I will read over the link you passed to me also. I play a game in the virtual world of second life , and give Free (Basic) Gimp classes. This is why I am trying to make sure I have everything just right. Its not that big of a deal. I like Linux much more. Keeping the game up and playing while jump across the another desktop to use the Gimp is way better For me.

One thing That would help and I still need to google it is the path to theses files and folders for a Mac. I have a few students using those also.

This is more about Helping people learn to us the Gimp.

Edited by trucker, 21 May 2009 - 04:19 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome.

Did you search through the Help files that are available for Mac answers: GIMP help files

GIMP for Mac OS X Recommends using MacPorts to install the libraries.

GIMP User Manual (Many languages supported)

The GIMP Mac forum may have some answers to the paths used on a Mac. Sorry for not being able to answer the question(s) in a more direct manner. My sister has a brand new iMac and I'm not allow to download ANYTHING on it. :)