Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"partitions" on a new external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I never really understood or worried about “parititions” on my C:drive but now that I have added a new external harddrive on my Dell 3000 with XP pc I guess I have to learn about them. Or do I?

Does someone have an easy reference for me? Thanks.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Adding a new external drive doesn't mean that you have to know anything about partitions.

Partitions are used to split a physical drive into logical sections that you can use to dual boot a system or organize files.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
edge2022: Got you. Thanks. ..wdc

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have to setup a partition and format any new drive so that the OS system can:

See the drive in order to Use it

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
rshaffer61: Not sure I understand your comment. My new external hard drive connects to my USB port and is recognized as the E: drive. So it seems to me that no further "partitioning" of that drive is needed, right?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IF you can put something on the drive then it is already partitioned and formatted. You would be correct. :)