Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot.ini file deleted at start-up everytime.

• Please log in to reply

Snoofus

Snoofus

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I'd be really grateful of some help as this is driving me spare.

I had a problem with my PC not booting because of a missing Hal.dll
I fixed the problem (I thought) with Boofcfg /rebuild.

However it seems that my boot.ini file is getting deleted at every start-up.

I've run my virus scanner (FSecure 8) and also Kaspersky online scanner. Nothing comes up. I've also run various malware scanner that show nothing. Hijackthis also shows nothing suspicious.

I've mirrored my Hard Drive to a brand new Hard Drive incase it was a bad sector. But the new one repeats the problem.

I've also tried SFC /Scannow to replace damaged system files, but still with no success. At present I'm having to recreate the Boot.ini file after every start-up.
One interesting aspect is that in order to create a new boot file quickly each time I created a copy called Bootold.ini. Thios got deleted to! So I'm sure it's malware.

I've tried to follow the cleaning Guide. My results are attached. I ran MBAM, it found some things and deleted them. But problem still remains.

OTList is also causing Me problems. It seems to get as far as scanning HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Internet Explorer Settings..

and then just hangs!!

Many thanks in anticipation,
Shawn.

Attached Files

Advertisements