Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Professional not booting after install

• Please log in to reply

ScotKing

ScotKing

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had some issues on my windows XP Professional. I have a dell dimension 5150. I could not press the start button for example. Also, the machine had the NT authority virus which shuts down my machine. After rebooting, I was was able to run it in safe mode and I ran the windows setup program from the cd within safe mode. I started this "upgrade" installation, which is not a repair installaion. (I don't have the full cd) I assumed the upgrade installation would replace any corrupted files just like a repair installation. Am I right? Anyways.... I wasn't sure if what I was doing was right, so I shut down my machine when there was 35 minutes remaining of the installation. A great move.... I was on the phone talking with a tech support guy when I made this decision. But I was not running a "fresh" installation, as a I later learned, and the "upgrade" installation should not overwrite any data. I"m also correct here yes?

So, right now, here's where I'm at. I reran the upgrade installation completely and let it finish. I watched it copy everything over. I actually did this twice. The reason? When I booted it the windows logo appears and it makes a few sounds like it's going into windows and displays the logo, but it always arrives at a black screen with the mouse arrow right in the middle. Nothing else.

What is causing this? Is it the win.ini file? At the moment I have the disk plugged into another computer through a usb cable. I have been copying my data from it to another external hard disk. The machine I"m using has non high speed usb ports, at least that's what the little balloon says when I plugged in the disk. I looked all over for a high speed usb controller to download, but I want a free download. Every link I found was broken. Am I correct that it wouldn't matter anyways to install the driver since the port is not a high speed port? The data transfer is slow. I have a lot of data to transfer. I would much prefer to fix this problem than do a new installation of windows. It would take many days just to reinstall all the software on my machine.

How can I fix this disk so I can get back to my desktop?

Advertisements