Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Stop Code 0x000000A5: ACPI_BIOS_ERROR

• Please log in to reply

Ddp

Ddp

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Yesterday my computer out of nowhere, displayed a Windows error. More specifically, 0x000000A5: ACPI_BIOS_ERROR (0x00000011, 0x00000007, 0xF7CDF400, 0x02002026). Prior to this complete stopage, the system ran perfectly. No matter what I do, I get the same results. I have read many articles on this topic, but none seem to tell me what to do to resolve this issue. I REALLY would like to save the data on my hard drive, as I had not backed up important docs for a while.
:)

In the last two days I installed iTunes and a Vcast/Rhapsody music program. The system seemed to run the same and I used both programs, then suddenly and without warning, the Blue Screen appeared.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This error is directly related to the BIOS, and not with the OS. We can try to get your data back. Click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig, and follow the instructions.

(0x000000011, Parameter2, Parameter3, Parameter4):

The system cannot enter ACPI mode. There are many reasons for this, including:
The system cannot initialize the AML interpreter.
The system cannot find the Root System Description table.
The system cannot allocate a critical driver.
The system cannot load the Root System Description table.
The system cannot load device descriptor blocks.
The system cannot connect an interrupt vector.
The SCI_EN (system control interrupt enable request) cannot be set (see 0x00000001).
The ACPI Table checksum is incorrect.

ACPI is a hierarchical arrangement of tables, each one building upon the next to define the complete capabilities of the system and of every device in the system. ACPI starts by looking for the Root System Description table, which points to the next table, which points to the next table, and so on. Usually, the 0x000000011 error occurs because these tables are damaged or missing.

You could try resetting your BIOS to its factory, default, or fail-safe settings.

Ddp

Ddp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Finally got a chance to try what you suggested. I downloaded and burned the disc successfully, but no luck beyond that. Hear is what it said when I tried to Check CD for defects.

[ 2.231963] ACPI: Aborted because of junk in compressed archive.

[ 0.234708] Unable to load system description tables.

[ 57.080378] Invalid compressed format (Err 2)

[ 57.106800] Kernel panic not syncing: UFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown wn-block (1004.1)

Is this system toast? ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?? Is this a really tough, or really boring one, I see some simple topics getting 150+ hits with 30-40 replys. I could really use some ideas, or if its a lost cause, what do I ned to replace to rebuild the system?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Skip the "Check CD For Defects" part, and go on to "Try Ubuntu Without any Changes"

Is this a really tough, or really boring one, I see some simple topics getting 150+ hits with 30-40 replys.

This is more tough than boring. What is the make and model of your computer?

Edited by edge2022, 24 May 2009 - 03:34 PM.

Ddp

Ddp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Originally posted 5-16-09. Still need help.

Yesterday my computer out of nowhere, displayed a Windows error. More specifically, 0x000000A5: ACPI_BIOS_ERROR (0x00000011, 0x00000007, 0xF7CDF400, 0x02002026). Prior to this complete stoppage, the system ran perfectly. No matter what I do, I get the same results. I have read many articles on this topic, but none seem to tell me what to do to resolve this issue. I REALLY would like to save the data on my hard drive, as I had not backed up important docs for a while.
headscratch.gif

In the last two days I installed iTunes and a Vcast/Rhapsody music program. The system seemed to run the same and I used both programs, then suddenly and without warning, the Blue Screen appeared.
killcomp.gif

I got this reply 5-07-09, which I tried...

This error is directly related to the BIOS, and not with the OS. We can try to get your data back. Click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig, and follow the instructions.

(0x000000011, Parameter2, Parameter3, Parameter4):

The system cannot enter ACPI mode. There are many reasons for this, including:
The system cannot initialize the AML interpreter.
The system cannot find the Root System Description table.
The system cannot allocate a critical driver.
The system cannot load the Root System Description table.
The system cannot load device descriptor blocks.
The system cannot connect an interrupt vector.
The SCI_EN (system control interrupt enable request) cannot be set (see 0x00000001).
The ACPI Table checksum is incorrect.

ACPI is a hierarchical arrangement of tables, each one building upon the next to define the complete capabilities of the system and of every device in the system. ACPI starts by looking for the Root System Description table, which points to the next table, which points to the next table, and so on. Usually, the 0x000000011 error occurs because these tables are damaged or missing.

05-24-09

Finally got a chance to try what you suggested. I downloaded and burned the disc successfully, but no luck beyond that. Hear is what it said when I tried to Check CD for defects.

[ 2.231963] ACPI: Aborted because of junk in compressed archive.

[ 0.234708] Unable to load system description tables.

[ 57.080378] Invalid compressed format (Err 2)

[ 57.106800] Kernel panic not syncing: UFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown wn-block (1004.1)

Is this system toast? ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?? Is this a really tough, or really boring topic? I see some simple posts getting 150+ hits with 30-40 reply's. I could really use some ideas, or if its a lost cause, what do I need to replace to rebuild the system?
confused1.gif

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Please continue this in the original topic.

Ddp

Ddp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried "Try Ubuntu Without any Changes", same messages.

Ddp

Ddp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Its a Sony VAIO, VGC-RA837G

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I now have some more info on what exactly is your problem.
Your 1st BSOD parameter tells us that the system could not enter ACPI mode.
The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th parameters tells us:
0x7 (2nd para)
A pointer to the table that had a bad checksum (3rd para) 0xF7CDF400
Creator revision (4th para) 0x02002026
The table checksum is incorrect. (Cause of your problem)

Try resetting your BIOS to the default or fail-safe settings.

Edited by edge2022, 24 May 2009 - 03:47 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The only other thing I can think of is buying a new BIOS chip for your mobo, or trying to flash your BIOS.

Advertisements

Ddp

Ddp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Going to try what you suggested. Not that it matters (well it kind of does), what could cause this? This system has run flawlessly since '05??

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This is some unknown happening that triggered this event.
I just checked your system specs, and the BIOS was said to be ACPI 1.0 Compliant. At this point I am not sure what could be causing this problem.

All that I would know is that your data is safe. Buy a hard drive enclosure, and use it with a working computer to transfer important data.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
CMOS battery could be low and that's causing a bad reading
5 years old so the system is slowing down a little

You can get a external 2.5 inch drive enclosure usb connectors and backup data to another system.

Ddp

Ddp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks. At least I know what I have to do now. I'm a photog, who made the mistake of not backing up some recent pics (dummy), so I really don't want to loose the data, so its good to hear that I can save it.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Yes. The data can be saved.
http://www.computerh...ips/battery.htm
http://www.computerh...es/ch000239.htm
There you go. If replacing the battery doesn't solve this problem, then something more serious is causing this. When removing the battery from your motherboard, make sure that you are properly grounded.
Do this by holding on to your computer's metal case with one hand, and removing the battery with another.