Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internal hard drive issue for windows XP

• Please log in to reply

nwkbooie2

nwkbooie2

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hope somone can help me !I just installed a second internal hard drive on my 5 year old computer that I built myself.
I'm running on windows XP HOME EDITION ,I have a soyo motherboard model( SY-7VBA133U)WITH A PENTIUM CELERON CPU
1.30GHz WITH 512 mb OF RAM.I HAVE UPDATED WINDOWS TO SRVC. PACK 3,OLD HARD DRIVE IS A 20G. WESTERN DIGITAL IDE & W/F JUMPER SET TO MASTER,THE NEW HDD IS ALSO A WESTERN DIGITAL IDE BUT HAS
160G. AND IS SET TO SLAVE.WHEN I BOOT UP ,THE MOTHERBOARD BIOS SHOWS THAT IT IS INSTALLED AND ONCE WINDOWS IS DONE LOADING IN MY HARDWARE DIOLOG BOX IT ALSO SHOWS UP SO I KNOW WINDOWS SEE'S
IT AS WELL,BUT WHEN I RIGHT CLICK ON MY COMPUTER IT ONLY SHOWS THE OLD 20G HDD UNDER C: DRIVE BUT NO NEW HDD OR OTHER LETTER TO EVEN SHOW THAT IT'S EVEN INSTALLED.WAS TOLD BY A FRIEND THAT IT MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH XP NOT RECOGNIZING ANY HDD OVER A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF SPACE ON IT
AND SOMETHING ABOUT A 48 BIT LBA OR SYSTEM.CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME TROUBLESHOOT THIS PROBLEM,THANK'S

STEVE R.

Advertisements

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
click start then right click on 'my computer'
choose 'manage' from the options

now click 'disk management' from the new screen

is the new hard drive shown in the left window ?

nwkbooie2

nwkbooie2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
YES IT DOES SHOW THE DRIVE THERE AS DISK 1 UNKNOWN 149.05 GB UNALLOCATED NOT INITIALIZED . SO NOW WHAT DO I DO?

STEVE R.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
easy - and i'll keep it simple,

go to (again)

click start then right click on 'my computer'
choose 'manage' from the options

now click 'disk management' from the new screen

right click on the new disk in the right hand window and format the drive as NTFS,
i can't walk you through the exact sequence as all mine are already formated and allocated but there are easy to follow instructions to help when you begin the process on your pc

(my appologies for saying left hand in my previous reply)

nwkbooie2

nwkbooie2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
THANKS I WILL TRY THIS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS & RE-POST THE OUTCOME.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before formatting you will have to setup the partition on the new drive. That is also on the right click menu as Hawklord described above.
Set the partition to desired size or as the whole drive. Once that is done then do the format Hawklord suggested.
When that is done your new drive will appear in My Computer and be ready for use. :) :)

nwkbooie2

nwkbooie2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
BEFORE I TRY THIS DOES IT MATTER THAT MY OLD HDD IS FAT 32 SYS. AND THAT THE NEW WILL BE NTSF??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Once you setup the partition and start the format you can specify that the HD be formatted using NTFS

nwkbooie2

nwkbooie2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
IT HAS BEEN DONE AND I'VE RE-BOOTED MY COMPUTER,BUT NOW IT SHOWS THAT THERE IS ONLY 149.05 GB OUT OF 160 GB WHAT CAN I DO TO RECOVER THE OTHER 10.5 GB THAT IT 'S NOT SHOWING? OR IS THIS NORMAL?OTHER THAN THIS EVERYTHING SEEMS TO HAVE WORKED.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You cannot ever get all the drive. It is because of the way manufacturers report the size of the HD.
Also when formatting you will lose part of the drive because of the file system it is formatted with.
What you are showing is normal after partition and format.
I have a 250 gig drive but after partition and format it shows only 232 gigs free space.

nwkbooie2

nwkbooie2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
THAT'S A RELIEF! ITHOUGHT I DID SOMETHING WRONG! THANK BOTH OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP I'LL BE USEING THIS SITE FOR FUTURE QUESTIONS.
THIS WAS EXTREMELY HELPFUL,THANKS AGAIN

STEVE R. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible