Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP - Freezing and sluggish

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It sounds like a plan :)

Advertisements

Jenninboise

Jenninboise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
There is nothing specific that I do that causes it to freeze. I will add that since I have done the ATF cleaner and Disk DeFrag the freezing has shown some imporvement, however, I still experience sluggishness.

Attached is the What's Running log.

Again -- thank you all so much!!!! :-)

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
We can eliminate couple of startups, but before we do this...
What's your AV program, because I can't see anything running there?

Jenninboise

Jenninboise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi Broni --

I have just run all the steps in the malware forum -- no infections were detected. I did have to download and install Windows 2007 SP2.
I had avast! downloaded for the scan but I just uninstalled it because when I have an antivirus running I can't do anything, it seems. No windows will open. If they do, I can't get to the next screen.

What do you think?

Thanks! Jennifer

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I did have to download and install Windows 2007 SP2

Do you mean Windows XP SP2?

There is something wrong here. AV program can't stall your computer, and you have to have some protection.

Try Windows repair: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If that doesn't help, you may consider Windows reinstall.

Hopefully, we 're not dealing here with any hardware problem.

Jenninboise

Jenninboise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay, clearly I am not a geek. I meant Microsoft Office Suite 2007 SP2. Does that make more sense?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What do you mean by you had to?

In any case, try my other advice.

Jenninboise

Jenninboise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes! I will try your other advice.

What I meant by "I had to" is -- one of the steps in the Malware forum is to go to microsoft and check for updates -- during that process I was told I needed that update.

I will repair windows tommorrow (arghh -- later today!)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I will repair windows tommorrow (arghh -- later today!)

All right. We are awaiting your results. :)

Jenninboise

Jenninboise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Things aren't going so well. I am on my husbands laptop typing this because my screen is fluttering with alternating designs of horizontal lines of yellow and white on a blue background. I will try to explain the steps:
1. I printed and followed the repair directions on the link you sent me.
2. There was nothing out of the ordinary until it got to installing files -- 33 minutes to go. Then it started fluttering. I couldn't see the progress and only briefly do I see what is going on. When I do I see a glimpse of the screen it has an error message on it. The fluttering is bad enough that I cannot see what is going on.
3. I have tried to reboot the system for the same thing to happen at the same point again. (3 or 4 times)
4. I have tried removing the CD to reboot the system and it gets to a point where it instructs me to insert the CD. When I do, it does fine until it gets to the same spot -- 33 minutes to go, and then the fluttering continues ultimately getting so bad I cannot see what is going on.

Now what? Please just tell me I didn't lose all of my files and data :-)

We have the use of my husband's laptop for downloading anything that I might be able to burn on a CD and use.

Thanks for your kind assisance. Jennifer

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Lets get your data back first.
Click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig and follow the steps to transfer your files to an external media.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Were you actually cleared up by malware people?
If yes, link please.

Jenninboise

Jenninboise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay, here is where things stand. By the time I got back to do the next step -- the Microsoft Repair had completed, the screen was clear and there was this error message: ngen.exe Entry Point Not Found GetRequestedRuntime Version could not be located in the dynamic link library mscoree.dll. The system appeared to complete the repair and restart -- at that time the following 2 error messages appeard: MOM.exe Entry Point Not Found GetRequestedRuntime Version could not be located in the dynamic link library mscoree.dll. AND C:/windows/microsoft.net/...... I think the last one is related to ATI.

I went to Microsoft for updates and the SP3 Pack failed -- stating there was an error and one component wouldn't download. I am attempting a 2nd download right now.

Now, I am backing up files online -- and am ready for the next step :-)

In response to your question -- I did not post a Malware post -- I followed all the steps in the Malware forum and nothing was found.

What do you think?

Edited by Jenninboise, 19 May 2009 - 02:43 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to windows update and get the .NET Framework updates for your computer FIRST...install those and reboot...
go back to windows updates again and get everything EXCEPT SP 3...install and reboot....

Jenninboise

Jenninboise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay. So. Now I am having different problems and perhaps I need to start a new thread in another topic. If so, please advise.

Here is what is going on:
Windows would not install .net framework 3.5 updates -- when it was downloading I got the error message "ngen.exe Entry Point Not Found GetRequestedRuntime Version could not be located in the dynamic link library mscoree.dll" When I went to ADD/REMOVE programs it says I have all the .net framework updates from 1 to 3.5 -- and it will not allow me to remove any of them

Thanks again for your help! :-)