Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failure when restoring XP

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Mac as I understand they have less trouble with malware

That is true since most users use Windows. Malware programmers try to hit the largest population, so less people are trying to exploit Mac than Windows.

It shouldn't be a problem with files. I am 90% sure that Macs can read from NTFS partitions. Going to a Mac may be a problem to some programs that only run under Windows, but you will usually find a Mac equivalent of that program.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
With data files, not at all.

mandydl

mandydl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for your help. I just had an awful thought, is it possible that i tried to install ordinary windows over my NTFS partition?? Would that matter...and what impact might it have on recovery of my data?
Thanks again.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You have to backup your data first. Then, you have to run that HD test to see, if reinstalling Windows is worth your effort.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Then, you have to run that HD test to see, if reinstalling Windows is worth your effort.

This is the important part. Try using Seatools as said in my previous post.

mandydl

mandydl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Just to update my progress so far, I decided to install my old Seagate as a master and the newer WD as a slave. I was able to get my data off including all my photos and emails PTL Hooray!!! I haven't run diagnostics on the disk yet, but now I am back online, will do so soon. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good going :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good Job! :)
Run the diagnostics and post the results.