Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will 2 Routers work?

• Please log in to reply

ContradictiveIrony

ContradictiveIrony

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, i have a modem and it requires to be connected to a router to work. Don't ask me why. Its just it.

Well, my internet connection has been constantly disconnecting for a very long time now. Nothing wrong with my modem. Just that my computer is really far away from my modem and router and there is no way i could wire my computer to my modem. So is it right to say that i can buy another router, connect it directly to my computer it will work?

And if so, do the routers need to be of the same type?

Need help asap, i can't afk and download stuffs or play online games with my friends.

Advertisements

Gentoolink

Gentoolink

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
The routers do not need to be the same brand. You will need to configure ports for gaming.

ContradictiveIrony

ContradictiveIrony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hmm, how do i configure the ports? For dota, they show the port is 6112. How do i configure that?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Out of curiosity, what do you hope to achieve with a second router? Unless there's a specific issue with your computer connecting via wireless, using a second router would basically just be an external NIC for you -- with added complexity. So, what's made you want a second router? Any reason(s) in particular? Just don't want you going out and spending money if it's not necessary.

- Dan

Edited by Dan, 18 May 2009 - 05:14 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Get a bigger antenna. :)

ContradictiveIrony

ContradictiveIrony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Because the problem is that my room is really really far from my modem. My modem has to be connected to a specific place with the specific cables. Don't ask why, its just it, blame the ISP lol. The router is connected to the modem or it would not work. But i've been constantly disconnecting. Its like whenever i get into a DoTA game with my friends, i would just disconnect halfway through it. I can't leave the computer to download stuffs, i have to keep making sure it doesn't disconnect.

My router is a prolink router, its been really old, i couldn't find the box it came with to read its specifications. I'm pretty sure its those "not that good" routers anymore that couldn't support wireless for a longer range of distance. The signal bar i could get is 2 bars. Sometimes 1. I've tried changing the channels it doesnt work.

Will getting a new router help? I've checked at the shop just now and the salesman said that a good router that supports a much larger range would cost SGD$170+ . Its kinda expensive though.

Would another option for me is to wire the router to my computer?

Note: The router has to be connected to the modem and the modem has to be at a specific spot. Whatmore, it would be really really troublesome and hard for me to move my computer out of my room to the living room due to the furnitures.

So should i get a better router? Because the disconnection problem is really killing me. Will getting a much better router help? My friend says that its because my computer is too far.

Need help asap. Thanks for helping guys.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you really knew what you were doing, you could add in a Wireless Access Point.

Otherwise the wired option would be the best "definite". If you did replace the old router with a new one and it still dropped out, you'd be pretty unhappy.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you add another router or wireless access point to connect to the other router wirelessly then you're going to have the same issue with the connection because of the distance and obstacles involved.... unless you've got a really large house then you're probably not out of range....just passing through way too many obstacles.... not to mention the fact that having 2 routers is not advised...you can have one router and then a wireless access point (or a router that can be configured as an AP)...but 2 routers will cause you problems...

IF you can do a wired connection you'd get the best results....but you can also do as troy suggested and get a bigger antenna for the router, and/or get an external wireless adapter for your laptop and google "tin can wifi antenna" or something to that effect...you'll find a lot of instructions for making homebrew antennas

ContradictiveIrony

ContradictiveIrony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hmm, well i've moved my computer out of my room to a nearer area to the modem. But not next to it still. More than 10m inbetween. But i still disconnect. My router is kinda old, used for a few years. Is it possible if i get a new router the disconnection would stop occuring? Because i need to wire the modem with the router so that it would work. And how would i be able to wire a long cable to the router if the router's ethernet port is being used to connect to the modem? :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it's an actual router then it should have more than one ethernet port on it...

also...i'm not 100% clear why you have to have a router for the modem to work at all....the router's purpose would be to connect multiple machines to the single connection (which i'm assuming is why you've got one to begin with)...

it's possible that your router is going bad at which point replacing it might help....if it's a distance/interference issue then a new router won't make too much of a difference

Advertisements

ContradictiveIrony

ContradictiveIrony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, i suppose it couldn't be the distance issue anymore for i've moved my computer nearer and now the signal strength is 4 bars out of 5. Idk , when i plug the router out, i couldn't connect to the internet or something. -_- That sucks. Any reason?

ContradictiveIrony

ContradictiveIrony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, i disconnected the router from the modem. I plugged in directly to my computer's ethernet port. Guess what, the LINK button on my modem was gone. My computer showed that i had limited connectivity. -_- it couldn't work. So for me to make a wired connection, would the only possible way is to buy a long ethernet cable and plugged it into the router's another ethernet port and connect it all the way to my comptuer's ethernet port?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
who set up your stuff? your ISP or someone else? sounds like your modem is in bridge mode which allows your router to handle the authentication to the ISP network (i.e. logon)...this disables a lot of settings in the modem because the router handles that stuff instead of the modem....it seems like you're wanting to keep your router and preferring wireless....there's a chance that a new router would help with the disconnects....but that's not going to be guaranteed..

if you were wanting to connect directly to the router you would have to run a long ethernet cable from the router to your pc

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I would temporarily move the computer setup right next to the modem/router combo and plug it in with the cord, see if it works steady. If you're still dropping out there's a problem with either the wireless router or the modem. If it's running stable then you can start looking at your options from there.

I definitely think the long ethernet cable would be the best option also.

ContradictiveIrony

ContradictiveIrony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm planning to get a long cable but is it an Ethernet cable? Because i look at my router, there are quite a number of ports and only one states Ethernet. The rest of the ports (like 4 or so) states Local. Would an ethernet cable fit in the Local ports? Because the ethernet cable is required to connect it directly to a modem.

Note: My router is an old one.

Do the new routers on market have more than 1 ethernet ports?

Thank you guys for helping me :)

[Edit]
One more thing, i have a mac computer online too. Most of the time, its just behind me. Will these affect any of my connections? And after i buy the ethernet cable and connect it directly from the router to my Windows computer, will my Mac computer still be able to connect wirelessly to the internet?

My mac and windows, disconnect at the same time each time it happens and my internet doesn't get back on automatically. -_-" i have to on and off the modem. Does that mean that something is wrong? Cause my modem is fairly new but my router is kinda ... old. [/Edit]

Edited by ContradictiveIrony, 20 May 2009 - 08:52 AM.