Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will 2 Routers work?

• Please log in to reply

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

My mac and windows, disconnect at the same time each time it happens and my internet doesn't get back on automatically. -_-" i have to on and off the modem.

It's little details like these that are important; this suggests it's more likely a general fault within your router/modem, rather than a distance/obstacle deal (I wouldn't expect them to d/c at the same time). Now it's a question of whether it's your router or modem. The next time you get disconnected, try the following.
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Now, close the command prompt window and then try powering the router on and off, and see if that allows you to reconnect. If it doesn't, power down the modem so that you can reconnect.
  • Once you reconnect, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.

Advertisements

ContradictiveIrony

ContradictiveIrony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, i've bought a 15metre ethernet cable. Usually with the wireless, my download speed for megaupload premium was capped at 300kb/s. Now its 1500kb/s . That is sure a big difference. Will having a wired connection now prevent the disconnection from happening? Ok my problem is solved now.

Would the wireless disconnection happen for my Mac and if it happens, would it affect my wired connection? As in, if the wireless disconnects, will the wired disconnect too? :)

Thank you guys for helping. I really appreciate it alot. Thank you.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
It depends what was/is broken. If it's your modem, then you'll still get dc'ed. If it's your router, then you may get dc'ed depending on what's broken. If it was just wireless interference/obstacles, then no. Now you just need to play the waiting game and see if it happens again.

ContradictiveIrony

ContradictiveIrony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hmm, i was downloading at 1.5mb/s when i first plugged my ethernet cable in. Then now, the speed became 300kb/s . What happened? Anyone knows why? It was 1.5mb/s for quite a long while when it suddenly dropped so drastically to what i had when it was wireless. Anyone knows anyway to improve the speed?