Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall of XP freezing on activation

• Please log in to reply

trenny606

trenny606

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Originally, I was getting the blue screen of death out of nowhere. PC would boot, get to desktop, and revert immediately to BSOD. Some advice told me to re-install XP. I did so with the factory disk, and after booting, prompts me to activate XP. When I say "YES" I want to activate XP, it goes to my wallpaper and freezes.

Every way I try to get into Windows it stops me and prompts me to activate: Safe mode etc.

This is the only PC this legit copy of XP has been installed on (originally at Dell). Anyone know why it won't activate? I'm assuming it's not connecting to the internet.

At the very least, can anybody walk me through getting into my C: drive to extract and back up data to an external w/out XP?

Thank you!

Chuck

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I'm assuming it's not connecting to the internet.

Try connecting to the internet with an Ethernet cable.

wallpaper and freezes.

By freezes what do you mean? BSOD, or just stops responding?

At the very least, can anybody walk me through getting into my C: drive to extract and back up data to an external w/out XP?

Click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig, and follow the directions to retrieve your files.