Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New XP install - drive partition

• Please log in to reply

Woch2331

Woch2331

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I just installed XP on a new 250 GB. I went through the setup process ok, but now I've noticed that it only formatted 128 GB towards the new partiton and labelled it I: (All my removable drives start with C: through F: and optical drives G: and H:).

During the setup procedure, it wouldn't let me change any of the default HD options before formatting the drive.

It is showing unallocated space of 105 GB. I guess I can format the unallocated space, but is there a way to get the entire drive formatted as 250 GB.?It won't let me change the drive letter also.

Should I try to reload and disconnect all the removable drive first? What about the using the full drive space?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is caused because you're not using an XP disk with a minimum of Service Pack 1. XP without Service Pack 1 will only see partitions of 137Gb and no more.
As to the drive issue - XP assigns removable devices as the first letters on the system, this includes card readers. You want XP on the C drive so you'll need to unplug the card reader and re-install XP from scratch to have it running from Drive C again. You can't change it afterwards.

Woch2331

Woch2331

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I've been doing a little research on the Microsoft website and it does looks I'm limited to the partion size due to the Win XP install version (Version 2002). Any way around that? Or is my only option to partition the unallocated space after the installation is complete?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could try to create a SlipStream of your XP and include SP2 with it. This would allow for the larger capacity drive to be seen completely.
To read how to do this go HERE

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
easiest way is to just let things run, by this i mean finish the install, update your service packs, make sure its running ok,
then format the partition and use it for storage,
it will show in 'my computer' as an extra drive

another option would be to slipstream a service pack into your windows cd, then when you do a complete re-install LBA will be enabled and you will be able to use the full hard drive as one

but the first option would, in my opinion, be the way to go

Woch2331

Woch2331

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

You could try to create a SlipStream of your XP and include SP2 with it. This would allow for the larger capacity drive to be seen completely.
To read how to do this go HERE

Thanks! I found the same site and completed the Slipstream of SP2 and SP3 into my WinXP installation. It recognized the entire partition and was loading Windows when I left the house this morning. Looks like this will get the task accomplished. I didn't want to limit my boot partition and keep the additional space for storage.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update. Please let us know if it completes successfully and how everything is working. I will continue to monitor this topic for your outcome. :)

Woch2331

Woch2331

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Sorry, I was going to post last night. The Slipstream process worked and the load CD installed WinXP with SP2 and SP3. Drive partition shows 232 GB (8 GB used and 224 GB free) and the drive letter is right! All is well. Now I need to finish loading all the software and get the computer back to my son. Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations for a successful resolution to your issue. :) With that I can now say.....

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

grenet

grenet

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I understand. Deleted and posted under new topic as requested.

Anna

Edited by grenet, 19 May 2009 - 04:51 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: grenet

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.

grenet

grenet

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Direct to: grenet

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.

Happy to. However it was a long post that took me over a half-hour to write.
Where is it so I can repost it as you wish, under a new topic?

Never mind - I found it - am deleting it

Anna

Edited by grenet, 19 May 2009 - 04:45 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
look above at Post # 10
You can copy and paste it to your new topic
Thank you for your patience and understanding