Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Another blinking cursor on reboot issue

• Please log in to reply

skaunit

skaunit

• Pip
  • 4 posts
so it seems I have a similar problem to this: http://www.geekstogo...en-t159277.html

However, it's a little different

first the background and system:

Windows XP Professional, volume license, WGA verified
Custom PC, AMD Athlon 64 4800+ 2.5g speed ASUS motherboard
2gigs ram
300gig SATA with 2 partitions, older hacked xp, and current xp

now, my "c" drive is my older hacked xp, which stopped booting a while ago, and my "e" drive is my clean, legit, working as of a few days ago xp professional.

So, as explained in that previous post, the system will run bios, and then hang before displaying the boot menu with a blank screen and a blinking cursor. HOWEVER, if my windows cd is in the drive [memorex DVD burner] it will wait for a key input to boot from cd [which works], and if not, the system will continue on to the boot screen and boot as normal.

Now, as I typed that, I thought "I wonder if it would act the same way with a different bootable cd, or if it only works with the windows disk" so I am going to try that when I am finished with this post.

I have not yet run chkdsk from the recovery console [which I added to the boot menu now, great idea I found when trying to troubleshoot this]. However, I have tried the fixmbr command and it did not work.

Another thing that I have found in searching around the web for info about this problem, was that some people theorized that it might have something to do with the CD drive. About a week or so before this happened, I insatalled a program called DVD43 in order to convert some DVD's to IPOD format. I am wondering if this program could somehow have something to do with the problem?

Also of note, the very first time this happened, was when I sat down at the computer and woke it up from sleep/powersaving mode, and it woke up and almost immediately rebooted, right into the blinking cursor screen.

any suggestions would be great, my next 2 steps will be trying a different bootable cd, and then reporting back here, and then trying a repair installation.

Advertisements

skaunit

skaunit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well, it seems any bootable cd will circumvent the issue, however this doesn't seem like a permanent solution... heh.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas let me know, I won't have time to try a repair install for a little bit.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try issuing this command in the recovery console:
fixboot

You might want to run this command too:
chkdsk /r
This process will take a long time to complete; with your 300GB hard disk I estimate an all-nighter.
DO NOT interrupt this process, as it can risk the integrity of your filesystem.

BTW...
If you want to make sure your files are safe before doing any troubleshooting, click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig and follow the directions to store your files on an external media.

Edited by edge2022, 17 May 2009 - 03:29 PM.

skaunit

skaunit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
edge2022, I tried fixboot, didn't help me. I also have done a repair install, and still no change. I'll run chkdsk tonight and see if it helps.

thanks for the help so far tho.

skaunit

skaunit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Update:

ran chkdsk last night but I didn't monitor it, though i did see it reset to 50% once, I am unsure if it happened any more than that.

I am still getting the same problem without a bootable cd in the drive.

another problem is, I have added recovery console to the boot menu, and when I try the option, it says that the Hal.dll is missing or corrupt and to please re-install. then automatically re-boots when a key is pressed.

I did a little searching and found out that a lot of the suggested fixes for the hal.dll file were remarkably similar to the fixes for the black screen with blinking cursor. I am thinking about trying out the fix i found here: http://forums.legitr.../about6705.html

can anyone else chime in here with a little input?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I did a little searching and found out that a lot of the suggested fixes for the hal.dll file were remarkably similar to the fixes for the black screen with blinking cursor.

You are correct.

Click on "Recovery Console Instructions" in my sig to burn yourself a copy of the Windows Recovery Console. Then click on "Repair Common Windows Startup Problems" in my sig and follow the steps with the CD you burned.