Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Login issues...

• Please log in to reply

raydam

raydam

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey there... I am a Dell Dimension 9150 user, and am currently unable to log in; I am experiencing what a few users of this site appear to have experienced: When I attempt to use my computer I am eventually greeted by the log in page, which I am not usually confornted by.. When i click on my user name to log in, I get a brief glimpse of my desktop wallpaper before being kicked out again immediately.

From what I've gathered from this site and others, something is skewiff with my registry. I have tried many different solutions so far: all options that my computer has given me thus far I have tried... booting in safe mode (no success) attempting to locate Dell recovery via BIOS (can't seem to find BIOS anymore =S) using Windows repair (I have borrowed a legal XP disk from my cousin, as my computer did not come with one) fiddling with things in both the F2 & F12 menu options (though not much fiddling, as I don't really know what I am doing); my frustration is building, especially as it seems many other ppl have experienced this problem, and the people on this website have been very helpful; however when I get to Windows Repair none of the suggestions I've seen so far have been of any use.

I have noticed a post from a user who eventually ordered new disks from their manufacturer, but I assume this causes loss of all data currently on my machine. Is this the only solution?

All i want is to get to the run regedit bit, and I can change the value back to how it should be... but I can't get to it!

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even if its just: "yeah, order new disks" :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi raydam...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
did you forget your password...
what did you do just prior to the problem starting...add any hardware or software...how about updating windows or any other software

raydam

raydam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey happyrock

I've never been prompted for a password before, or not for as long as I can remember; if there was a password I would've saved it (I know I am forgetful :)

I believe there may have been a windows update of some sort just prior to the problem occurring.

I have had some difficulties with malware, and had run Malwarebytes Antimalware & Spybot S&D recently..

Apologies for the less than exact answers, I generally only use my computer for gaming, and tend to leave it switched on, hence the lack of precision... I usually just switch on my computer and get brought through to my desktop, now I have pesky log in screen that refuses to let me log on.

I think I have come near to a solution; using my cousin's XP disk I can get to windows repair, but at the c:\ prompt, when i use "copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe" I get a "filename not found" message. Am I on the right track? :)

Thx for the reply :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link. I think that this will solve your problem. It's a little involved but worthwhile trying.

raydam

raydam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thx for the link Sceptic, but it appears to be broken...
Is it for thinkingpixels.com? If so, this site appears to be a german graphics site of some kind...

raydam

raydam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, my tiny mind couldn't take it anymore, so I've initiated the Dell System restore, wiping my rather superb musical playlists and whatnot, but brain pressure on tiny mind now relieved.

Ty for your help, and keep up the good work! (this site is by far the best of all sites I've seen or used of this type btw, so congrats)

:)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.